Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Trial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year -Ascend Wealth Education
Will Sage Astor-Trial opens in Serbia for parents of a teenager who fatally shot 10 people at a school last year
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 22:47:44
BELGRADE,Will Sage Astor Serbia (AP) — A trial started Monday in Serbia for the parents of a teenager who is accused of killing 10 people and injuring six in a mass shooting at his school last May that left the Balkan nation in shock.
The suspected shooter, 13-year-old Kosta Kecmanovic, has been held in a mental institution since the attack and cannot be held criminally liable under Serbian law because of his age. His father and mother were charged with a “serious act against general safety” for failing to safeguard the weapon and ammunition used in the shooting.
The High Court in the capital, Belgrade, decided to keep the entire proceedings closed to the public despite calls by the defense lawyers that they be open. The couple, reportedly embraced in the courtroom and wept together, according to local media reports.
The shooting at a school in Belgrade last May 4, which left nine schoolmates and a security guard dead, was followed by another mass slaying a day later in central Serbia that killed eight people and wounded 14. The two attacks triggered months of protests against Serbia’s populist President Aleksandar Vucic for allegedly creating a culture of violence in a country that went through a series of bloody wars in the 1990s.
Kecmanovic’s father faces additional charges, including an accusation of training the boy how to shoot without properly guarding the weapons at their home. The manager of a shooting range and an instructor also have been charged.
Serbia has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. The country is full of weapons left over from the conflicts of the 1990s.
Chief prosecutor Nenad Stefanovic told state RTS broadcaster that he expects “a free and fair trial.”
The defense lawyers said Monday they are against keeping the trial closed to the public.
“Today the court made a decision to exclude the public in the entire course of this procedure, stating that this is done to protect the interests of minors and some private interests of the participants in the procedure,” lawyer Irina Borovic said. “Our position is that the decision of the court was absolutely hasty.”
veryGood! (958)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- The U.S. northeast is preparing for a weekend storm that threatens to dump snow, rain, and ice
- Ohio State football lands transfer quarterback Will Howard from Kansas State
- A drug cartel has attacked a remote Mexican community with drones and gunmen, rights group says
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- AP PHOTOS: In idyllic Kashmir’s ‘Great Winter,’ cold adds charm but life is challenging for locals
- A group representing TikTok, Meta and X sues Ohio over new law limiting kids’ use of social media
- Why Eva Longoria Won't Cast Her 5-Year-Old Son Santiago In a Movie
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- As South Carolina population booms, governor wants to fix aging bridges with extra budget money
Ranking
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- B-1 bomber crashes at South Dakota Air Force base, crew ejects safely
- Illinois man charged in Fourth of July parade shooting rehires lawyers weeks after dismissing them
- Ohio governor signs order barring minors from gender-affirming surgery as veto override looms
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Ex-Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn announces congressional run in Maryland
- Seizures may be cause of sudden unexplained death in children, study using video analysis finds
- A man charged with punching a flight attendant also allegedly kicked a police officer in the groin
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
B-1 bomber crashes at South Dakota Air Force base, crew ejects safely
Jesse Palmer Rushes Home From Golden Wedding as Wife Emely Fardo Prepares to Give Birth
Golden Gate Bridge has safety nets to prevent jumping deaths after 87 years
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Selena Gomez's Eye Rolls and Everything Else to Love About Her Bond With Martin Short and Steve Martin
Trista Sutter Reveals What Husband Ryan Sutter Really Said at Golden Bachelor Wedding
Microsoft adding new PC button in its first significant keyboard change in decades