Current:Home > InvestTitanic first-class menu, victim's pocket watch going on sale at auction -Ascend Wealth Education
Titanic first-class menu, victim's pocket watch going on sale at auction
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 01:20:44
A rare menu from the Titanic's first-class restaurant is being sold at auction this week. The water-damaged menu shows what the ill-fated ocean liner's most well-to-do passengers ate for dinner on April 11, 1912, three days before the ship struck an iceberg that caused it to sink in the Atlantic Ocean within hours.
A pocket watch that was owned by a Russian immigrant who died in the catastrophe is also being sold at the same auction Saturday in the U.K., along with dozens of other Titanic and transportation memorabilia.
The watch was recovered from the body of passenger Sinai Kantor, 34, who was immigrating on the Titanic to the U.S. with his wife, who survived the disaster at sea, according to auction house Henry Aldridge & Son Ltd. The Swiss-made watch's movement is heavily corroded from the salt water of the Atlantic, but the Hebrew figures on the stained face are still visible.
What is the Titanic menu up for auction?
The menu was discovered earlier this year by the family of Canadian historian Len Stephenson, who lived in Nova Scotia, where the Titanic victims' bodies were taken after being pulled from the water, according to the auction house.
Stephenson died in 2017, and his belongings were moved into storage. About six months ago, his daughter Mary Anita and son-in-law Allen found the menu in a photo album from the 1960s, but it wasn't clear how the menu came into Stephenson's possession.
"Sadly, Len has taken the secret of how he acquired this menu to the grave with him," auctioneer Andrew Aldridge said in an article posted on the auction house's website.
The menu has sustained some water damage, but the list of the dishes offered — including spring lamb with mint sauce, "squab à la godard" and "apricots bordaloue" — is still legible.
The auction house said a handful of menus from the night of April 14, when the Titanic hit the iceberg, still exist but it can't find other first-class dinner menus from April 11.
"With April 14 menus, passengers would have still had them in their coat and jacket pockets from earlier on that fateful night and still had them when they were taken off the ship," Aldridge said.
The pocket watch is estimated to sell for at least 50,000 pounds (about $61,500), and the menu is estimated to sell for 60,000 pounds (about $73,800), according to the auction house.
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- Titanic
Alex Sundby is a senior editor for CBSNews.com.
TwitterveryGood! (9)
Related
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Olivia Newton-John's Family Details Supernatural Encounters With Her After Her Death
- Jamie Lee Curtis' graphic novel shows how 'We're blowing it with Mother Nature'
- Italian mob suspect on the run for 11 years captured after being spotted celebrating soccer team's win
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Riley Keough honors late brother, grandpa Elvis Presley with uncommon baby name
- Jay-Z’s Made In America fest canceled due to ‘severe circumstances outside of production control’
- West Virginia University president plans to step down in 2025
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Bachelor Nation's Nick Viall and Fiancée Natalie Joy Are Expecting First Baby Together
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Rollin': Auburn says oak trees at Toomer's Corner can be rolled
- Selena Gomez and Sister Gracie Dance the Night Away at BFF Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour
- Watch: San Diego burglary suspect stops to pet friendly family dog
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Maryland detectives plead for video and images taken near popular trail after body found believed to be missing mother Rachel Morin
- Post-GOP walkout, Oregon elections chief says lawmakers with 10 or more absences can’t run next term
- Utility group calls for changes to proposed EPA climate rules
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Man who made threats at a rural Kansas home shot and killed by deputy, authorities say
Petition to recall SW town’s mayor submitted to Jeff Davis Registrar of Voters
US Navy sailor’s mom encouraged him to pass military details to China, prosecutor says
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Horoscopes Today, August 8, 2023
Texas man on trip to spread dad's ashes dies of heat stroke in Utah's Arches National Park
Elon Musk says fight with Mark Zuckerberg will stream live on X, formerly Twitter