Current:Home > StocksFirm announces $25M settlement over role in Flint, Michigan, lead-tainted water crisis -Ascend Wealth Education
Firm announces $25M settlement over role in Flint, Michigan, lead-tainted water crisis
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:24:18
FLINT, Mich. (AP) — A second contractor said Thursday that it has reached a $25 million settlement over its role in Flint, Michigan’s lead-contaminated water scandal that officials say caused learning disabilities in scores of children and other medical problems among adults in the majority Black city.
The class-action litigation agreement includes payments of $1,500 for individual minors, according to Boston-based Veolia North America. The company says the agreement will resolve claims made on behalf of more than 45,000 Flint residents.
In July, the engineering firm Lockwood, Andrews & Newman said in a court filing that a confidential deal was reached with residents in federal court. Like Veolia North America, Lockwood, Andrews & Newman had been accused of being partially responsible for the water crisis in the city about 60 miles (95 kilometers) northwest of Detroit.
Flint, which was under state-appointed managers, used the Flint River for water in 2014-15, but the water wasn’t treated the same as water previously supplied by a Detroit-area provider. As a result, lead leached throughout the vast pipe system.
The state was sued because environmental regulators and other officials missed opportunities to fix Flint’s water problems during the lead crisis. Flint returned to a regional water supplier in the fall of 2015.
Doctors later would find high levels of lead in the blood of some children in Flint. Flint families sued Veolia North America and Lockwood, Andrews & Newman, accusing both firms of not doing enough to get Flint to treat the highly corrosive water or to urge a return to a regional water supplier.
Veolia North America had faced a trial this month in federal court, but that has been suspended pending final approval of its settlement agreement, the company said.
The issues for a jury would have included whether Veolia North America breached care and, if so, whether that breach prolonged the crisis. The company has said it was hired by the city to conduct a one-week assessment 10 months after Flint switched to Flint River water.
“VNA made good recommendations, including a crucial one on corrosion control, that would have helped the city had those recommendations not been almost entirely ignored by the responsible government officials,” the company said Thursday in a release. “VNA had no power over these decisions. VNA never operated the Flint Water Plant.”
During closing arguments in a 2022 case that ended in a mistrial, attorneys for the children argued that Veolia North America should be held 50% responsible for lead contamination and that Lockwood, Andrews & Newman should be held 25% responsible, with public officials making up the balance.
The mistrial was declared on claims made on behalf of four Flint children. Another trial is scheduled in October on behalf of seven other Flint children, according to their attorney, Corey Stern.
The settlement announced Thursday by Veolia North America does not affect the October trial, Stern said.
veryGood! (5576)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Amazon Prime Video will start showing ads in January. Will you have to pay more?
- 2 models of Apple Watch can go on sale again, for now, after court lifts halt over a patent dispute
- Antonio Pierce makes pitch to be Raiders' full-time coach: 'My resume is on the grass'
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- More cold-case sexual assault charges for man accused of 2003 Philadelphia rape and slaying
- Boebert switches congressional districts, avoiding a Democratic opponent who has far outraised her
- 'Pretty Baby' chronicles Brooke Shields' career and the sexualization of young girls
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- New Mexico native will oversee the state’s $49B savings portfolio amid windfall from petroleum
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Mariah Carey's boyfriend Bryan Tanaka confirms 'amicable separation' from singer
- Can you sell unwanted gift cards for cash? Here's what you need to know
- Taylor Swift fan died of heat exhaustion during Rio concert, officials report
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- A legendary Paris restaurant reopens with a view of Notre Dame’s rebirth and the 2024 Olympics
- Taylor Swift fan died of heat exhaustion during Rio concert, officials report
- In its 75th year, the AP Top 25 men’s basketball poll is still driving discussion across the sport
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
John Oates is still 'really proud' of Hall & Oates despite ex-bandmate's restraining order
Dominican officials searching for Rays shortstop Wander Franco as investigation continues
Texas has arrested thousands on trespassing charges at the border. Illegal crossings are still high
Travis Hunter, the 2
Indian foreign minister in Moscow meets Putin and Lavrov, praises growing trade
Travis Barker Gives Kids Alabama and Landon These $140,000 Gifts for Christmas
US announces new weapons package for Ukraine, as funds dwindle and Congress is stalled on aid bill