Current:Home > StocksUS forces shoot down ballistic missiles in Red Sea, kills gunmen in attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels -Ascend Wealth Education
US forces shoot down ballistic missiles in Red Sea, kills gunmen in attack by Yemen’s Houthi rebels
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 01:34:57
BEIRUT (AP) — The U.S. military said Sunday it shot down two anti-ship ballistic missiles fired toward a container ship by Yemen’s Houthi rebels in the Red Sea. Hours later, four boats tried to attack the same ship, but U.S. forces opened fire, killing several of the armed crews, the U.S. Central Command said. No one was injured on the ship.
The Singapore-flagged MAERSK HANZGHOU reported they had already been hit by a missile Saturday night while transiting the Southern Red Sea and requested assistance, CENTCOM said in a statement. The USS GRAVELY and USS LABOON responded to the call for help, and the Denmark-owned vessel was reportedly seaworthy and no injuries were noted, the statement added.
“This is the 23rd illegal attack by the Houthis on international shipping since Nov. 19,” CENTCOM said.
In another statement, CENTCOM said the same ship issued an additional distress call about a second attack “by four Iranian-backed Houthi small boats.” The attackers fired small arms weapons at the MAERSK HANZGHOU, getting to within 20 meters (about 65 feet) of the vessel, and attempted to it, CENTCOM said.
A contract-embarked security team on the ship returned fire, the central command said. U.S. helicopters from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier and GRAVELY responded to the distress call and while issuing verbal warnings to the attackers, the small boat crews opened fire on the helicopters using small arms, the statement said.
“The U.S. Navy helicopters returned fire in self-defense,” sinking three of the four boats, killing the crews while the fourth boat fled the area, CENTCOM said, and no damage to U.S. personnel or equipment was reported.
The Iran-backed Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports. They say their attacks aim to end Israel’s air-and-ground offensive targeting the Gaza Strip following the attack by the Palestinian militant group Hamas on Oct.7.
On Saturday, the top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East said Houthi rebels have shown no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea even as more nations join the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and trade traffic begins to pick up.
Since the Pentagon announced Operation Prosperity Guardian to counter the attacks just over 10 days ago, 1,200 merchant ships have traveled through the Red Sea region, and none has been hit by drone or missile strikes, Vice Adm. Brad Cooper said in an Associated Press interview.
veryGood! (34422)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- UEFA Euro 2024: Dates, teams, schedule and more to know ahead of soccer tournament
- No TikTok? No problem. Here's why you shouldn't rush to buy your child a phone.
- California congressman urges closer consultation with tribes on offshore wind
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- What’s next for Iran’s government after death of its president in helicopter crash?
- Why Eva Longoria Says Her 5-Year-Old Son Santiago Is Very Bougie
- Ivan Boesky, stock trader convicted in insider trading scandal, dead at 87, according to reports
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Judge orders man accused of opening fire outside Wrigley Field held without bail
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Unusually fascinating footballfish that glows deep beneath the sea washes up on Oregon coast in rare sighting
- Insider Q&A: CIA’s chief technologist’s cautious embrace of generative AI
- Judge rules Ohio law that keeps cities from banning flavored tobacco is unconstitutional
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates says many campus protesters don't know much of that history from Middle East
- Family of Black teen wrongly executed in 1931 seeks damages after 2022 exoneration
- Should the Fed relax its 2% inflation goal and cut interest rates? Yes, some experts say.
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Push to enforce occupancy rule in College Station highlights Texas A&M students’ housing woes
Love Is Blind Star AD Reacts to Clay’s Mom Calling Out His New Relationship
Honda, Ford, BMW among 199,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Simone Biles won big at U.S. Classic with Taylor Swift routine. Who might join her on Team USA?
Arizona man gets life in prison in murder of wife who vigorously struggled after being buried alive, prosecutors say
11 injured in shooting in Savannah, Georgia