Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Ascend Wealth Education
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 03:43:46
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (1199)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- The 'Star-Spangled Banner': On National Anthem Day, watch 5 notable performances
- Vanderpump Rules' Lala Kent Is Pregnant With Baby No. 2
- 2024 Oscars Guide: Original Song
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Northern California battered by blizzard, Sierra Nevada residents dig out: See photos
- South Carolina Poised to Transform Former Coal-Fired Plant Into a Gas Utility as Public Service Commission Approves Conversion
- Suspected drunk driver charged with killing bride on wedding night released on bail
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Transgender Afghans escape Taliban persecution only to find a worse situation as refugees in Pakistan
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Cancer is no longer a death sentence, but treatments still have a long way to go
- Tennis' Rafael Nadal Gives Rare Insight Into His Life as a New Dad
- 'Everything is rising at a scary rate': Why car and home insurance costs are surging
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Two fragile DC neighborhoods hang in the balance as the Wizards and Capitals consider leaving town
- Philadelphia actor starring in groundbreaking musical comedy that showcases challenges people with disabilities face
- Fans gather to say goodbye to Flaco the owl in New York City memorial
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
California authorizes expansion of Waymo’s driverless car services to LA, SF peninsula
NFL draft's QB conundrum: Could any 2024 passers be better than Caleb Williams?
A Texas girl allegedly killed by a family friend is remembered as ‘precious’ during funeral service
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
Putting LeBron James' 40,000 points in perspective, from the absurd to the amazing
Trader Joe's recall: Steamed chicken soup dumplings could contain pieces of hard plastic
The 18 Best High-Waisted Bikinis To Make You Feel Confident and Chic- Amazon, SKIMS, Target & More