Current:Home > FinanceJudge says he’ll look at Donald Trump’s comments, reconsider $10,000 fine for gag order violation -Ascend Wealth Education
Judge says he’ll look at Donald Trump’s comments, reconsider $10,000 fine for gag order violation
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 07:05:13
NEW YORK (AP) — A New York judge said Thursday he would take a fuller look at Donald Trump’s out-of-court comments and reconsider a $10,000 fine he imposed on the former president a day earlier at his civil fraud trial.
The development came after Trump’s lawyers urged Judge Arthur Engoron to rethink the penalty. The judge fined Trump on Wednesday after finding that his comments to TV cameras outside the courtroom violated a gag order that bars participants in the trial from commenting publicly on the judge’s staff.
Outside court Wednesday, the Republican presidential front-runner complained that Engoron, a Democrat, is “a very partisan judge with a person who’s very partisan sitting alongside of him, perhaps even much more partisan than he is.”
The comment came weeks after Engoron imposed the gag order in the wake of a Trump social media post that disparaged the judge’s principal law clerk. She sits next to Engoron, and Trump’s lawyers had groused a bit earlier about the clerk’s facial expressions and role in the case.
Summoned to the witness stand Wednesday to explain his comment, Trump said he was talking not about the clerk but about witness Michael Cohen — his former lawyer and fixer who was testifying against him at the time.
On Wednesday, Engoron called Trump’s contention “not credible,” noting that the clerk is closer to him than is the witness stand.
Trump’s lawyers insisted anew Thursday that Trump was talking about Cohen. They pointed out that right after his reference to the person “sitting alongside” the judge, Trump said: “We are doing very well, the facts are speaking very loud. He is a totally discredited witness” — a reference to Cohen.
Trump lawyer Christopher Kise argued that it meant the person “alongside” the judge was also Cohen. “To me, the ‘he’ in that sentence is referring to the person in the immediately preceding sentence,” Kise said.
Engoron responded that he would look at the entirety of the remarks and would reconsider the penalty.
“But I’ve made the decision, and unless I say otherwise,” it stands, he added.
Trump attended the trial for two days this week, but wasn’t in court on Thursday.
The case involves a lawsuit that New York Attorney General Letitia James filed last year against Trump, his company and top executives. She alleges Trump and his business chronically lied about his wealth on financial statements given to banks, insurers and others. Trump denies any wrongdoing.
In a pretrial ruling last month, Engoron found that Trump, chief financial officer Allen Weisselberg and other defendants committed years of fraud by exaggerating the value of Trump’s assets and net worth on his financial statements.
As punishment, Engoron ordered that a court-appointed receiver take control of some Trump companies, putting the future oversight of Trump Tower and other marquee properties in doubt. An appeals court has blocked enforcement of that aspect of Engoron’s ruling, at least for now.
The civil trial concerns allegations of conspiracy, insurance fraud and falsifying business records. James is seeking $250 million in penalties and a ban on Trump doing business in New York.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- SpaceX launch from Cape Canaveral rescheduled for tonight following Sunday scrub
- General Motors, the lone holdout among Detroit Three, faces rising pressure and risks from strike
- Decade of decline: Clemson, Dabo Swinney top Misery Index after Week 9 loss to NC State
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Woman set for trial in 2022 killing of cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson: Here's what to know
- Ukrainian officials say Russian shelling killed a 91-year-old woman in a ‘terrifying night’
- On the anniversary of a deadly Halloween crush, South Korean families demand a special investigation
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Bangladesh’s ruling party holds rally to denounce ‘violent opposition protests’ ahead of elections
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Activists urge Paris Olympics organizers to respect the rights of migrants and homeless people
- Mia Fishel, Jaedyn Shaw score first U.S. goals as USWNT tops Colombia in friendly
- Nevada gaming board seek policy against trespassing gamblers allowed to collect jackpot winnings
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Tributes pour in following death of Friends star Matthew Perry: What a loss. The world will miss you.
- No candy for you. Some towns ban older kids from trick-or-treating on Halloween
- Two dead, 18 injured in Ybor City, Florida, shooting
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Decade of decline: Clemson, Dabo Swinney top Misery Index after Week 9 loss to NC State
32 things we learned in NFL Week 8: Shifting landscape ahead of trade deadline
On the anniversary of a deadly Halloween crush, South Korean families demand a special investigation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
Iran arrests rights lawyer after she attended funeral for girl injured in mysterious Metro incident
College football Week 9 grades: NC State coach Dave Doeren urges Steve Smith to pucker up
Is pasta healthy? It can be! How to decide between chickpea, whole grain, more noodles.