Current:Home > ScamsBrian Laundrie's parents detail 'frantic' conversations with son: 'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer' -Ascend Wealth Education
Brian Laundrie's parents detail 'frantic' conversations with son: 'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer'
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 04:03:29
The parents of Brian Laundrie described the day "everything hit the fan" after their son called them to say his fiancee was "gone" weeks before the remains of Gabby Petito were discovered, according to newly released court documents.
Depositions from Laundrie’s parents, Christopher and Roberta Laundrie, were made public earlier this week ahead of the May trial in an emotional distress lawsuit filed by Petito's family. Petito's parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt, have accused the Laundries of knowing their 22-year-old daughter had been killed and are seeking at least $100,000 in damages.
The case of Gabby Petito gained national attention during the summer of 2021, sparking widespread speculation about her disappearance and whether Brian Laundrie had killed her. She went missing during a cross-country road trip with Laundrie, who returned from the trip without her.
After Petito's family reported her missing, her body was found in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming in Sept. 2021. Laundrie later was also reported missing and was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a nature reserve in southern Sarasota County, Florida, in October 2021.
Authorities said Laundrie admitted to killing Petito in a note found with his body. Her death was ruled a homicide by strangulation.
Since 2022, Petito’s family has been involved in a legal battle against Laundrie’s parents and his estate. In November 2022, the families reached a $3 million settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit which claimed Laundrie was liable for damages because he caused Petito's death.
In November 2023, Petito's parents filed an amended civil complaint claiming pain and emotional distress due to Laundrie's parents withholding information regarding their daughter's death. The depositions released this week in the lawsuit detailed "frantic" phone calls between Laundrie and his parents as he told them he needed them to find a lawyer.
Gabby Petito was strangled:Experts say such an assault is a red flag for intimate partner homicides.
'Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer'
In Roberta Laundrie’s deposition, she recalled a conversation between her and her son on Aug. 29, 2021. The two were catching up and Brian appeared to sound "fine, normal," according to the deposition.
But as the conversation concluded, Roberta Laundrie said "he all of a sudden completely changed and he sounded very upset."
“I didn’t want to push him, so we just said goodbye,” Roberta Laundrie said in the deposition, adding: "When I got off the phone, I told Chris, you know, 'Brian sounded upset. Maybe you should give him a call.'"
When asked what she thought Brian meant when he said "Gabby's gone, please call a lawyer," Roberta Laundrie said several possibilities had crossed her mind, including that the couple may have got into a fight, Brian had hit Petito and she was going to press charges against him.
Initially, Roberta Laundrie told the Petito family's attorneys that she "didn't know what to think" when questioned if she thought Petito was dead.
"I don't remember if that crossed my mind or if I just was so nervous I just thought he was in some kind of trouble," she said, but later admitted that "it probably went through my mind."
Gabby Petito case:Brian Laundrie's mom wrote him letter saying she would help 'dispose of a body'
Brian Laundrie sounded 'frantic' on phone call
When Christopher Laundrie called his son later, he told the Petito family's attorneys that "everything hit the fan."
"(Brian) was not calm... and told me things," Christopher Laundrie said in the deposition. "'Gabby's gone' and he got very frantic. Everything was frantic and quick."
Brian had repeatedly told his father that Petito was "gone” but never said he killed her, according to the deposition. Christopher Laundrie said his son had asked him for help and to find him an attorney.
“I asked him why. He wouldn’t tell me," he added.
At the time, Christopher Laundrie said he didn't believe his son killed Petito or that Petito was dead. "I had no idea what to think," he told attorneys.
Laundrie's parents never contacted Petito's family
Following the Aug. 29 phone call, Laundrie’s parents said they didn't attempt to contact Petito or her family and Roberta Laundrie said she didn't return calls from Schmidt.
"My attorney told me not to talk to anybody, so I just didn’t talk to anybody,” Roberta Laundrie said in the deposition. She added that the family was advised to keep Brian "close, kept him home and safe, and didn’t talk to him about anything and hoped for the best."
Contributing: Jeanine Santucci, USA TODAY; The Associated Press
veryGood! (2199)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Maine man sentenced to 15 years for mosque attack plot
- Charlie Adelson found guilty in 2014 murder-for-hire killing of Dan Markel
- Special counsel in Hunter Biden case to testify before lawmakers in ‘unprecedented step’
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Five years after California’s deadliest wildfire, survivors forge different paths toward recovery
- Mississippi voters will decide between a first-term GOP governor and a Democrat related to Elvis
- Ex-Philadelphia labor leader on trial on federal charges of embezzling from union
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Local governments in West Virginia to start seeing opioid settlement money this year
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- A 17-year-old boy wanted in the killing of a passenger resting on a Seattle bus turns himself in
- Starbucks to raise baristas' hourly wages starting in January
- Andy Cohen Asks CNN to Allow Alcohol for New Year’s Eve Broadcast
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Protests turn ugly as pressure mounts on Spain’s acting government for amnesty talks with Catalans
- Video shows forklift suspending car 20 feet in air to stop theft suspect at Ohio car lot
- How are people supposed to rebuild Paradise, California, when nobody can afford home insurance?
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Evan Ellingson, child star from 'My Sister's Keeper' and '24', dead at 35
Is your financial advisory company among the best? Help USA TODAY rank the top firms
A year after 2022 elections, former House Jan. 6 panel members warn of Trump and 2024 danger
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Jewish man dies after confrontation during pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian demonstrations
A month into war, Netanyahu says Israel will have an ‘overall security’ role in Gaza indefinitely
Live updates | Netanyahu says Israel will have ‘overall security responsibility’ in Gaza after war