Current:Home > reviewsOlivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis Score a Legal Victory in Nanny's Lawsuit -Ascend Wealth Education
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis Score a Legal Victory in Nanny's Lawsuit
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:36:08
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis will not be going to trial with their former nanny.
A Los Angeles judge has ruled that a wrongful termination lawsuit filed by Ericka Genaro—who worked for the former couple between 2018 and 2021—be resolved in out-of-court arbitration, according to court documents obtained by E! News.
"We don't agree with the decision, but it is what it is and now we'll litigate it in arbitration and the case goes on," Ron Zambrano, Genero' attorney and partner and Employment Litigation Chair at West Coast Employment Lawyers, told E! News in a statement Aug. 16. "This does not terminate the lawsuit. It merely changes the venue."
Zambrano continued, "As to the underlying facts, we've got text messages and testimony that she was driven to quit, then was summarily fired anyway. We feel extremely confident in the case so instead of taking this to trial, we'll handle it in arbitration and we're ready to move forward."
Genaro is seeking punitive damages—including loss of earnings, deferred compensation and other employment benefits—from Wilde and Sudeikis after allegedly taking on an increased parenting role to their kids Otis, 9, and Daisy, 6, when the Don't Worry Darling director left the family home in 2020.
In court documents previously obtained by E! News, Genaro's legal team alleged the pressure of "not only being the primary caretaker of the children, but also filling in Wilde's absence for the children became debilitating" for their client.
Genaro's "anxiety and stress did not get any better" when news of Wilde and Sudeikis' breakup made headlines, according to her lawsuit, and she eventually had to seek therapy. Her lawsuit alleged that she was fired by Sudeikis on the spot when she approached the Ted Lasso star about taking a three-day break at the advice of medical professionals.
When reached by E! News for comment on the upcoming arbitration, a rep for Wilde and Sudeikis said, "The lawsuit has been fully dismissed. Both Olivia and Jason are hopeful they can finally close this chapter after what has not only been a selfish grab for financial gain, but a shameless exploitation of their trust played out in the media."
In response, Zambrano told E! News, "While the plaintiff's substantive rights and claims in the complaint remain unscathed and will be litigated in New York, the defendants are obviously free to relish in a win on a procedural front but that doesn't mean the lawsuit is moot or over. We're now just going to argue our case in arbitration rather than before a jury in Los Angeles."
Zambrano added, "Perhaps most attractive to Ms. Wilde and Mr. Sudeikis is that the evidence is now shielded from public view. But once we read the judge's full decision, which is still pending, we believe there will be grounds for appeal."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (9)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- H&M's 60% Off Summer Sale Has Hundreds of Trendy Styles Starting at $4
- Banks’ Vows to Restrict Loans for Arctic Oil and Gas Development May Be Largely Symbolic
- Tribes Sue to Halt Trump Plan for Channeling Emergency Funds to Alaska Native Corporations
- Average rate on 30
- U.S. saw 26 mass shootings in first 5 days of July alone, Gun Violence Archive says
- How the Supreme Court's affirmative action ruling could impact corporate recruiting
- Fortnite maker Epic Games will pay $520 million to settle privacy and deception cases
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- As Deaths Surge, Scientists Study the Link Between Climate Change and Avalanches
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Nordstrom Rack 62% Off Handbag Deals: Kate Spade, Béis, Marc Jacobs, Longchamp, and More
- This week on Sunday Morning (July 9)
- Retail spending dips as holiday sales bite into inflation
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Zendaya Sets the Record Straight on Claim She Was Denied Entry to Rome Restaurant
- Your Multivitamin Won't Save You
- Big entertainment bets: World Cup & Avatar
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
Alberta’s $5.3 Billion Backing of Keystone XL Signals Vulnerability of Canadian Oil
Long-lost Core Drilled to Prepare Ice Sheet to Hide Nuclear Missiles Holds Clues About a Different Threat
Passenger says he made bomb threat on flight to escape cartel members waiting to torture and kill him in Seattle, documents say
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Kate Spade's Limited-Time Clearance Sale Has Chic Summer Bags, Wallets, Jewelry & More
New York bans pet stores from selling cats, dogs and rabbits
In the Southeast, power company money flows to news sites that attack their critics