Current:Home > ScamsPoinbank Exchange|Judge declines bid by New Hampshire parents to protest transgender players at school soccer games -Ascend Wealth Education
Poinbank Exchange|Judge declines bid by New Hampshire parents to protest transgender players at school soccer games
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 04:33:48
CONCORD,Poinbank Exchange N.H. (AP) — A federal judge on Tuesday declined to grant an immediate order sought by some New Hampshire parents to allow them to wear pink wristbands with “XX” on them at girls high school soccer games to protest transgender girls playing.
But the judge did rule that one father who had been banned by the school district for the rest of the season after a protest and altercation be allowed to watch his daughter’s games and pick her up from soccer practice so long as he didn’t engage in any protest activity.
Judge Steven McAuliffe said the notion of whether parents should be allowed to passively protest transgender players at student sports events was legally nuanced and complex, and he wanted to hear more detailed arguments presented by both the parents and the school district at the next hearing, which is likely to be held in late November.
The case arose after three parents and a grandparent of soccer players at Bow High School sued the school district, saying their rights were violated when they were barred from school grounds for wearing the wristbands, which represent the female chromosome pair.
Two of the parents wore the wristbands during the second half of a Sept. 17 match against Plymouth Regional High School to “silently express their opinion about the importance of reserving women’s sports for biological females,” according to their lawsuit filed by attorneys from the Institute for Free Speech.
But in its response, the Bow School District said that plaintiffs Andrew Foote and Kyle Fellers chose to direct their protest at a 15-year-old transgender player on a visiting team, as she and another teen challenge a New Hampshire ban in court.
“They did so despite express warning that such conduct would not be tolerated on the school grounds,” the district wrote. “The school rightly curtailed such behavior and sanctioned the two men in a reasonable manner.”
Del Kolde, a senior attorney with the Institute for Free Speech, said after Tuesday’s hearing that they had achieved some of what they had sought. He said he believed police bodycam footage that would likely be played at the November hearing would further support his clients version of events.
The district declined to comment immediately after the hearing.
The lawsuit said school officials and a local police officer confronted the parents during the game, telling them to remove the wristbands or leave. The plaintiffs refused, citing their First Amendment rights, then said they were threatened with arrest for trespassing.
At one point, the referee stopped the game and said that Bow High School would forfeit if the plaintiffs did not remove their wristbands, the lawsuit said. The wristbands were removed and the game resumed.
During Tuesday’s court hearing, Kolde acknowledged Fellers had called school officials Nazis, but said he was entitled to do so and that officials had retaliated against him.
Fellers also held up a handmade sign saying “Protect Women Sports for Female Athletes,” according to the district.
Following the game, the two parents received “No Trespass Orders” banning them from school grounds and events, the lawsuit said. One was banned for a week, while Fellers was banned for the fall term.
“Parents don’t shed their First Amendment rights at the entrance to a school’s soccer field. We wore pink wristbands to silently support our daughters and their right to fair competition,” Fellers said in an earlier statement. “Instead of fostering open dialogue, school officials responded with threats and bans that have a direct impact on our lives and our children’s lives.”
veryGood! (5796)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Five journalists were shot in one day in Mexico, officials confirm
- USWNT coach meets players for first time, but remains behind the scenes
- Woman falls 48 feet to her death down well shaft hidden below floorboards in century-old South Carolina home
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- 3 dead, 1 hospitalized in explosion that sparked massive fire at Ohio auto repair shop
- Suspect in Philadelphia triple stabbing shot by police outside City Hall
- Who advanced in NBA In-Season Tournament? Nuggets, Warriors, 76ers among teams knocked out
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- All The Only Ones: I can't wait
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Coal power, traffic, waste burning a toxic smog cocktail in Indonesia’s Jakarta
- Hunters killed nearly 18% fewer deer this year in Wisconsin’s nine-day gun season
- Australia apologizes for thalidomide tragedy as some survivors listen in the Parliament gallery
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- WWE Hall of Famer Tammy ‘Sunny’ Sytch sentenced to 17 years in prison for fatal DUI crash
- India tunnel collapse rescue effort turns to rat miners with 41 workers still stuck after 16 days
- Mark Cuban working on sale of NBA's Mavericks to Sands casino family, AP source says
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Groom kills his bride and 4 others at wedding reception in Thailand, police say
John Mulaney relates to Matthew Perry's addiction battle: 'I’m thinking about him a lot'
3 dead, 1 hospitalized in explosion that sparked massive fire at Ohio auto repair shop
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Mali’s governmnet to probe ethnic rebel leaders, suggesting collapse of crucial 2015 peace deal
Travis Kelce joins Taylor Swift at the top of Billboard charts with Jason Kelce Christmas song duet
Alabama judge who was suspended twice and convicted of violating judicial ethics resigns