Current:Home > ContactUN sets December deadline for its peacekeepers in Congo to completely withdraw -Ascend Wealth Education
UN sets December deadline for its peacekeepers in Congo to completely withdraw
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 01:33:06
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo, which helped in the fight against rebels for more than two decades before being asked by the Congolese government to leave, will complete its withdrawal from the Central African nation by the end of 2024, the mission said Saturday.
A three-phased withdrawal of the 15,000-force will begin in the South Kivu province where at least 2,000 security personnel will leave by the end of April in the first phase, according to Bintou Keita, head of the mission known as MONUSCO, after which forces in the North Kivu and Ituri provinces will also leave.
“After 25 years of presence, MONUSCO will definitively leave the DRC no later than the end of 2024,” Keita said at a media briefing in the Congolese capital of Kinshasa. The end of the mission will not be “the end of the United Nations” in the country, she added.
The U.N. and Congolese officials worked together to produce a disengagement plan for “a progressive, responsible, honorable and exemplary withdrawal of MONUSCO,” Congolese Foreign Minister Christophe Lutundula said. Modalities have also been set for “the gradual transfer of tasks from MONUSCO to Congolese government,” Lutundula added.
The MONUSCO force arrived in Congo in 2010 after taking over from an earlier U.N. peacekeeping mission to protect civilians and humanitarian personnel and to support the Congolese government in its stabilization and peace consolidation efforts.
However, frustrated Congolese say that no one is protecting them from rebel attacks, leading to protests against the U.N. mission and others that have at times turned deadly.
Over the years of its existence, eastern Congo continues to be ravaged by more than 120 armed groups seeking a share of the region’s resources such as gold and trying to protect their communities, some of them quietly backed by Congo’s neighbors. The violence is occasioned by rampant mass killings and has displaced nearly 7 million people.
The Congolese government — which has just been reelected in a disputed vote — requested the U.N. mission to leave the country after claiming the security collaboration “has proved its limits in a context of permanent war, without the longed-for peace being restored to eastern Congo.” The government has also directed an East African regional force, deployed last year to help end the fighting, to leave the country for similar reasons.
veryGood! (31133)
Related
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Ex-president barred from leaving Ukraine amid alleged plan to meet with Hungary’s Viktor Orban
- Hilary Farr announces she's leaving 'Love It or List It' after 'a wonderful 12 years'
- Nightengale's Notebook: 10 questions heading into MLB's winter meetings
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Feeling alone? 5 tips to create connection and combat loneliness
- Nightengale's Notebook: 10 questions heading into MLB's winter meetings
- 32 female athletes file lawsuit against Oregon citing Title IX violations
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- More than 100 Gaza heritage sites have been damaged or destroyed by Israeli attacks
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- How Prince William Is Putting His Own Royal Future Ahead of His Relationship With Prince Harry
- The Excerpt podcast: The temporary truce between Israel and Hamas is over
- Michigan vs Alabama, Washington vs. Texas in College Football Playoff; unbeaten Florida St left out
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- College football bowl game schedule for the 2023-24 season: A full guide for fans.
- Pope Francis says he’s doing better but again skips his window appearance facing St. Peter’s Square
- Klete Keller, Olympic gold medalist, gets 36 months probation in Jan. 6 riot case
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
An Israeli raced to confront Palestinian attackers. He was then killed by an Israeli soldier
Father of Palestinian American boy slain outside Chicago files wrongful death lawsuit
Renewed concerns about civilian deaths as Israel intensifies assault on southern Gaza after weeklong cease-fire ends
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Author John Nichols, who believed that writing was a radical act, dies at 83
Beyoncé’s ‘Renaissance’ is No. 1 at the box office with $21 million debut
Alabama woman pleads guilty in 2019 baseball bat beating death of man found in a barrel