Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-Doomsday cult leader Paul Mackenzie goes on trial after deaths of over 400 followers in Kenya -Ascend Wealth Education
Chainkeen Exchange-Doomsday cult leader Paul Mackenzie goes on trial after deaths of over 400 followers in Kenya
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 20:39:31
The Chainkeen Exchangeleader of a doomsday cult in Kenya went on trial on Monday on charges of terrorism over the deaths of more than 400 of his followers in a macabre case that shocked the world.
Self-proclaimed pastor Paul Nthenge Mackenzie appeared in a packed courtroom in the Indian Ocean port city of Mombasa along with 94 co-defendants.
Principle magistrate Leah Juma ordered the removal of journalists from the court shortly after the start of the hearing to enable a protected witness to take the stand on camera.
Mackenzie, who was arrested in April last year, is alleged to have incited his acolytes to starve to death in order to "meet Jesus" in one of the world's worst cult-related massacres.
The father of seven and his co-accused pleaded not guilty to the charges of terrorism at a hearing in January.
The 55 men and 40 women also face charges of murder, manslaughter, as well as child torture and cruelty in separate cases.
The remains of more than 440 people have been unearthed so far in a remote wilderness inland from the Indian Ocean coastal town of Malindi, in a case that has been dubbed the "Shakahola forest massacre."
Autopsies have found that while starvation appeared to be the main cause of death, some of the victims -- including children -- were strangled, beaten, or suffocated. In February, Mackenzie pleaded not guilty to the murder of 191 children whose bodies were found in mass graves.
Previous court documents also said that some of the bodies had had their organs removed.
"Worst breach of security in the history of our country"
Prosecutors said in a statement that they planned to call about 90 witnesses to testify as well as show physical and digital evidence.
"The prosecution will present evidence to illustrate that the accused did not function merely as a fringe group, but rather as a well-organized criminal enterprise operating under the guise of a church under the leadership of (Mackenzie)," the statement said.
Mackenzie, a former taxi driver, turned himself in after police first entered Shakahola forest in April last year and found the bodies of four people and several other starving people.
The police action came after a relative of one of the victims received a tip-off from a former member of Mackenzie's Good News International Church about grisly happenings in Shakahola forest.
Family members have said Mackenzie told his followers to join him in the Shakahola forest, where he offered them parcels of land for less than $100. Court documents allege that in early 2023, Mackenzie told his followers in the forest that the end of the world was coming and they must prepare through extreme hunger.
He allegedly split members into smaller groups assigned biblical names. It's believed these smaller groups died together and were buried together in mass graves.
Mackenzie had set up the church in 2003, but closed it in 2019 and moved to the sleepy town of Shakahola.
In March this year, the authorities began releasing some victims' bodies to distraught relatives after months of painstaking work to identify them using DNA.
Questions have been raised about how Mackenzie, a self-styled pastor with a history of extremism, managed to evade law enforcement despite his prominent profile and previous legal cases.
Several surviving members of the group have told family members that what he preached would often come true, citing as an example his prediction that "a great virus" would come, just before COVID-19 hit the country. As people struggled during the pandemic, financially and medically, Mackenzie preached about leaving the difficulties of life behind and "turning to salvation."
Interior Minister Kithure Kindiki last year accused Kenyan police of laxity in investigating the initial reports of starvation.
"The Shakahola massacre is the worst breach of security in the history of our country," he told a senate committee hearing, vowing to "relentlessly push for legal reforms to tame rogue preachers."
Reports by the Kenyan senate and a state-funded human rights watchdog have said the authorities could have prevented the deaths.
The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) in March criticized security officers in Malindi for "gross abdication of duty and negligence."
The horrific saga has seen President William Ruto vow to intervene in Kenya's homegrown religious movements.
"What we are seeing ... is akin to terrorism," Ruto said last year. "Mr. Makenzi ... pretends and postures as a pastor when in fact he is a terrible criminal."
In largely Christian Kenya, it has also thrown a spotlight on failed efforts to regulate unscrupulous churches and cults that have dabbled in criminality.
In 2022, the body of a British woman who died at the house of a different cult leader while on holiday in Kenya was exhumed, according to the family's lawyer. Luftunisa Kwandwalla, 44, was visiting the coastal city of Mombasa when she died in August 2020 and was buried a day later, but her family has claimed foul play.
Sarah Carter contributed to this report.
- In:
- Terrorism
- Kenya
veryGood! (9584)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- UK says Russia’s intelligence service behind sustained attempts to meddle in British democracy
- Nevada grand jury indicts six Republicans who falsely certified that Trump won the state in 2020
- Massachusetts governor says AI, climate technology and robotics are part of state’s economic future
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Westchester County Executive George Latimer announces campaign against Congressman Jamaal Bowman
- Helicopter with 5 senior military officials from Guyana goes missing near border with Venezuela
- Israel and US at odds over conflicting visions for postwar Gaza
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Need an Ugly Christmas Sweater Stat? These 30 Styles Ship Fast in Time for Last-Minute Holiday Parties
Ranking
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Democratic support for Biden ticks up on handling of Israel-Hamas war, AP-NORC poll says
- Trump tells supporters, ‘Guard the vote.’ Here’s the phrase’s backstory and why it’s raising concern
- Julia Roberts Shares Sweet Update on Family Life With Her and Danny Moder’s 3 Kids
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori is freed from prison on humanitarian grounds
- Best Holiday Gifts For Teachers That Will Score an A+
- Indonesia ends search for victims of eruption at Mount Marapi volcano that killed 23 climbers
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Twitch says it’s withdrawing from the South Korean market over expensive network fees
House advances resolution to censure Rep. Jamaal Bowman for falsely pulling fire alarm
Taylor Swift Deserves a Friendship Bracelet for Supporting Emma Stone at Movie Screening
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
49ers LB Dre Greenlaw, Eagles head of security Dom DiSandro exchange apology
Mississippi’s top lawmakers skip initial budget proposals because of disagreement with governor
Halle Berry Reveals She Had “Rocky Start” Working With Angelina Jolie