Current:Home > ContactNevada attorney general appeals to state high court in effort to revive fake electors case -Ascend Wealth Education
Nevada attorney general appeals to state high court in effort to revive fake electors case
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 20:24:57
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The top prosecutor in Nevada is asking the state Supreme Court to uphold the indictments of six Republicans charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congress that declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep the former president in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgia and Arizona.
Meanwhile, the fate of Nevada’s so-called fake electors case hangs in the balance.
Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus issued a written order Friday night affirming her ruling from the bench last month that Las Vegas was the wrong venue for the case and therefore the charges must be dismissed.
A spokesperson for Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford, a Democrat, confirmed Saturday in a statement that the office formally filed its appeal shortly after the judge issued her written order.
“We remain confident in our case and look forward to bringing these individuals to justice and holding them accountable for their actions,” the statement says.
The defendants are state GOP chairman Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chairman Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
They were indicted by a grand jury in Las Vegas last December, just before a three-year statute of limitations expired. Each was charged with offering a false instrument for filing and uttering a forged instrument — felonies carrying a penalty of up to four or five years in prison.
Monti Levy, one of the defense lawyers, said Saturday they “are confident that Judge Holthus made the correct decision and that her order granting the motion to dismiss will be upheld.”
The defense attorneys had argued that Ford improperly brought the case against their clients before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
Ford’s office, meanwhile, argued that “no one county contains the entirety of these crimes.”
It wasn’t clear Saturday from court records whether oral arguments had been scheduled before the Nevada Supreme Court. The court’s clerk also did not respond to an emailed message seeking more information.
Trump lost to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
veryGood! (19245)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Why Wicked’s Marissa Bode Wants Her Casting to Set A New Precedent in Hollywood
- FBI, Justice Department investigating racist mass texts sent following the election
- Vanderbilt QB Diego Pavia files lawsuit vs. NCAA in hopes of gaining extra eligibility
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- The Daily Money: Who pays for Trump's tariffs?
- Tony Todd, Star of Candyman, Dead at 69
- Historic winter storm buries New Mexico, Colorado in snow. Warmer temps ahead
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Abortion-rights groups see mixed success in races for state supreme court seats
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- 'Just a shock': NC State student arrested after string of 12 shootings damaging homes and vehicles
- Louisiana lawmakers advance Gov. Jeff Landry’s tax cut bills
- Monkeys that escaped a lab have been subjects of human research since the 1800s
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- 'Outer Banks' Season 5: Here's what we know so far about Netflix series' final season
- Community grieves 10-year-old student hit and killed by school bus in Missouri
- Bribery case adds to problems in Mississippi city with water woes and policing disputes
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Chappell Roan Is Up For 6 Grammy Nominations—and These Facts Prove She’s Nothing Short of a Feminomenon
Georgia governor declares emergency in 23 counties inundated with heavy rain and flooding
The Ravens' glaring flaw flared up vs. the Bengals. It could be their eventual undoing.
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Minnesota Man Who Told Ex She’d “End Up Like Gabby Petito” Convicted of Killing Her
James Van Der Beek 'went into shock' over stage 3 colorectal cancer diagnosis
North Carolina governor picks labor chief to serve until next commissioner is sworn in