Current:Home > ScamsAn independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -Ascend Wealth Education
An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 20:39:40
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago, as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (84)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Paul Simon, graceful poet and musical genius, gets his documentary due 'In Restless Dreams'
- Is Jason Momoa Irish? 'Aquaman' actor stars in Guinness ad ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- Vice President Harris, rapper Fat Joe team up for discussion on easing marijuana penalties
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Authorities order residents to shelter in place after shootings in suburban Philadelphia township
- Oprah Winfrey opens up about exiting Weight Watchers after using weight loss drug
- DeSantis signs bills that he says will keep immigrants living in the US illegally from Florida
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Authorities order residents to shelter in place after shootings in suburban Philadelphia township
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
- 'Giant hybrid sheep' created on Montana ranch could bring prison time for 80-year-old breeder
- Colorado man bitten by pet Gila monster died of complications from the desert lizard’s venom
- Small twin
- Kristen Doute Reveals Her Honest Opinion on Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright's Breakup
- Love Is Blind's Cameron Hamilton Reveals Why He and Lauren Weren't at the Season 6 Reunion
- The deceptive math of credit card rewards: Spending for points doesn't always make sense
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Love Is Blind's Cameron Hamilton Reveals Why He and Lauren Weren't at the Season 6 Reunion
How to safely watch the total solar eclipse: You will need glasses
Colorado man bitten by pet Gila monster died of complications from the desert lizard’s venom
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
Traveling in a Car with Kids? Here Are the Essentials to Make It a Stress-Free Trip
McDonald's experiences tech outages worldwide, impacting some restaurants
DeSantis signs bills that he says will keep immigrants living in the US illegally from Florida