Current:Home > NewsRussian warships depart Cuba after visit following military exercises -Ascend Wealth Education
Russian warships depart Cuba after visit following military exercises
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 04:27:19
A fleet of Russian warships, including a nuclear-powered submarine, left Havana's port on Monday after a five-day visit to Cuba following planned military drills in the Atlantic Ocean. The exercise has been seen by some as a show of strength by Moscow against the backdrop of tensions as U.S. and other Western nations support Kyiv in Russia's war on Ukraine.
The submarine, a frigate, an oil tanker and a rescue tug slowly departed from the port on Monday morning.
It's unclear what the fleet's next destination is or where it will dock next in the Caribbean, although U.S. officials said days ago that the vessels could possibly also stop in Venezuela.
Officials with the Biden administration said last week that they were monitoring the vessels and confirmed that they did not pose a threat to the region or indicate a transfer of missiles. Still, the United States docked a submarine, the USS Helena, at its Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba.
The American naval base, located in the southeastern part of the island about 1,000 kilometers (625 miles) from the capital of Havana, is considered by the Cuban government to be illegally occupied territory.
Last week, the Russian ships arrived at the port after the Russian Ministry of Defense reported that the fleet successfully conducted military drills in the Atlantic Ocean, simulating a missile attack on targets that could be more than 600 kilometers (375 miles) away.
The fleet, made up of the frigate "Gorshkov," the nuclear-powered submarine "Kazan," the tanker "Pashin," and the tug "Nikolai Chiker," was received in Havana with a 21-gun salute.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel visited the frigate on Saturday and interacted with the sailors, according to a post by the president on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.
Meanwhile, Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Carlos Fernández de Cossío rejected the presence of the American submarine at Guantanamo Base, stating it was unwelcome and uninvited.
A State Department spokesperson said last week that Russia's port calls in Cuba are "routine naval visits" and do not pose any danger.
On Thursday, a day after arriving, hundreds of people lined up to visit the frigate. The ship was also open to the public on Saturday, which is a common practice when vessels arrive at the port.
Canada's navy patrol boat Margaret Brooke entered the Havana harbor on Friday.
- In:
- Caribbean
- Cuba
- Russia
- Atlantic Ocean
veryGood! (14)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- 'Real Housewives of Potomac' star Karen Huger involved in car crash after allegedly speeding
- Proposed limit on Georgia film tax credit could become meaningless if studios are protected
- The Best Bra-Sized Swimsuits That *Actually* Fit Like A Dream
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Conviction reversed for alleged ringleader of plot to kidnap and kill Minnesota real estate agent
- Georgia carries out first execution in more than 4 years
- A 'new' star will appear in the night sky in the coming months, NASA says: How to see it
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Deion Sanders responds to story about his unique recruiting style: 'I'm Coach Prime'
Ranking
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- The UN will vote on its first resolution on artificial intelligence, aimed at ensuring its safety
- Judge says Michael Cohen may have committed perjury, refuses to end his probation early
- Washington state man accused of eagle killing spree to sell feathers and body parts on black market
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Toddler gets behind wheel of truck idling at a gas pump, killing a 2-year-old
- Virginia House leaders dispute governor’s claim that their consultant heaped praise on arena deal
- A teenager faces a new felony charge over the shooting at the Chiefs’ Super Bowl celebration
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
The Top 32 Amazon Beauty Deals on Celeb-Loved Picks: Kyle Richards, Chrishell Stause, Sarah Hyland & More
Alabama lawmakers advance expansion of ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law
Stock market today: Asian shares rise after Wall Street rallies to records
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Kentucky parents charged with attempting to sell newborn twin girls
March Madness bracket picks for Thursday's first round of the men's NCAA Tournament
The Utah Jazz arena's WiFi network name is the early star of March Madness