Current:Home > MySurpassing:Truckers suing to block New York’s congestion fee for Manhattan drivers -Ascend Wealth Education
Surpassing:Truckers suing to block New York’s congestion fee for Manhattan drivers
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:26:10
NEW YORK (AP) — Add truckers to the list of opponents seeking to block New York’s first-in-the-nation congestion fee for driving into Manhattan.
The SurpassingTrucking Association of New York filed a federal lawsuit Thursday against the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which developed the toll scheme, arguing the higher fees unfairly and unconstitutionally target the trucking industry. The trucking association’s lawsuit is among at least eight seeking to block the congestion fee plan, which is slated to launch June 30.
Under the transit authority’s plan, trucks would be subject to a charge of $24 or $36 per trip, depending on their size. Most drivers in private passenger cars, in contrast, should expect to pay about $15, with lower rates for motorcycles and late-night entries into the city, according to the proposal finalized in March.
Kendra Hems, the trucking association’s president, said the industry will have no choice but to shoulder the increased costs, as truck operators don’t have flexibility on their driving routes or schedules, which are generally set by the businesses they serve.
That, she said, will only lead to price increases on countless goods, as the trucking industry moves nearly 90% of products in New York City.
“As any responsible business does, we deliver when our customers ask us to deliver, which is during prime business hours,” said Joe Fitzpatrick, founder of Lightning Express Delivery Service and a member of the trucking association’s board. “That will not change now, but what will change is higher costs for New Yorkers as a result.”
The association suggests that the transit authority revise its plan to exempt the industry from the fee, limit trucks to being tolled just once a day or toll them at the same rate as passenger vehicles.
A spokesperson for the MTA declined to comment on the suit Thursday.
A Manhattan federal court judge earlier this month heard arguments in lawsuits brought by unionized public school teachers, politicians and other New Yorkers.
In New Jersey, a federal court judge has also heard arguments in legal challenges brought by New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich and others.
Many of those lawsuits argue the tolling scheme was approved by federal transportation officials without proper scrutiny and the court should order transit officials to conduct a more comprehensive environmental study before rolling out the plan.
Both judges have not yet ruled in the cases.
___
Follow Philip Marcelo at twitter.com/philmarcelo.
veryGood! (58127)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Cómo migrantes ofrecen apoyo a la población que envejece en Arizona
- Alexey Navalny, fierce critic of Vladimir Putin, dies in a Russian penal colony, officials say
- Alexey Navalny, fierce critic of Vladimir Putin, dies in a Russian penal colony, officials say
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- TikTok star Oliver Mills talks getting Taylor Swift's '22' hat at Eras Tour in Melbourne
- Kansas City woman's Donna Kelce mug sells like wildfire, helps pay off student lunch debt
- What happened to Floridalma Roque? She went to Guatemala for plastic surgery and never returned.
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Chris Brown says he was disinvited from NBA All-Star Celebrity Game due to controversies
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Rooney Mara Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 2 With Joaquin Phoenix
- Jessie James Decker Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 4 With Husband Eric Decker
- Funerals held in Georgia for 2 U.S. soldiers killed in Jordan drone attack
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- 'True Detective' finale reveals the forces that killed those naked, frozen scientists
- $1 million reward offered by Australian police to solve 45-year-old cold case of murdered mom
- Trump hawks $399 branded shoes at 'Sneaker Con,' a day after a $355 million ruling against him
Recommendation
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Health care costs climb for retirees. See how much they need to save, even with Medicare
People's Choice Awards 2024 Winners: See the Complete List
Near-record winds over the Northeast push passenger planes to speeds over 800 mph
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
Retiring early? Here are 3 ways your Social Security benefits could be affected
People's Choice Awards 2024 Winners: See the Complete List
Why Francesca Farago and Jesse Sullivan Want to Have Kids Before Getting Married