Current:Home > StocksChicago suburb drops citations against reporter for asking too many questions -Ascend Wealth Education
Chicago suburb drops citations against reporter for asking too many questions
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 00:24:30
CALUMET CITY, Ill. (AP) — Officials in a suburban Chicago community on Monday dropped municipal citations against a local news reporter for what they said were persistent contacts with city officials seeking comment on treacherous fall flooding.
The reversal occurred days after officials in Calumet City mailed several citations to Hank Sanders, a Daily Southtown reporter whose job includes covering the suburb, the Chicago Tribune reported Monday. The Southtown is owned by the Tribune’s parent company,
The tickets from the city of 35,000, located 24 miles (39 kilometers) south of Chicago, had alleged “interference/hampering of city employees” by Sanders.
The Southtown published a story online Oct. 19 and in print Oct. 20 in which Sanders reported that consultants had informed Calumet City officials that their stormwater facilities were in poor condition before September’s historic rains caused flooding.
A day after the story was published online, Sanders continued to report on the issue, drawing complaints from city officials, including Mayor Thaddeus Jones, that he was calling employees to seek comment.
Calumet City attorney Patrick K. Walsh sent a Tribune lawyer a letter Monday dismissing the citations.
Tribune Executive Editor Mitch Pugh said the newspaper is “glad that cooler heads prevailed and Calumet City officials understood the error of their ways and dismissed these charges.”
“We’re glad to see Hank can get back to doing his job serving the readers of the Daily Southtown, and we’ll continue to be vigilant watching how city officials treat him in his capacity of reporter,” Pugh said. “We’ll continue to support our journalists’ right to do their jobs, whether in Calumet City or elsewhere.”
In his letter, Walsh said city employees “have a right to refuse to speak with” Sanders. But, Walsh added: “I understand it would be Mr. Sanders’ position and your argument that he was not harassing anyone.”
The letter from Walsh encourages Sanders to direct his inquiries to the suburb’s spokesperson and concludes: “Mr. Sanders is a nice young reporter and I wish him well with his career.”
On Monday, Sanders was back at work reporting.
The city citations were the latest of several recent First Amendment dust-ups involving city officials and news outlets around the country, following last week’s arrest of a small-town Alabama newspaper publisher and reporter after reporting on a grand jury investigation of a school district, and the August police raid of a newspaper and its publisher’s home in Kansas tied to an apparent dispute a restaurant owner had with the paper.
veryGood! (437)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Caitlin Clark's WNBA regular-season debut with Indiana Fever gets historic TV viewership
- Inside the 'Young Sheldon' finale: Tears, tissues and thanks as Sheldon Cooper leaves home
- Capri Sun launches Big Jugs that equal 32 pouches of juice. Here’s where to find them.
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- North Carolina lawmakers push bill to ban most public mask wearing, citing crime
- Here's what Americans think is the best long-term investment
- Why does Canada have so many wildfires?
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Raccoon on field stops play in MLS game. How stadium workers corralled and safely released it.
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Get Target Dresses For Less Than $25, 40% Off NARS Cosmetics, 30% Off Samsonite Luggage & More Deals
- Barge collides with Pelican Island Causeway in Texas, causing damage and oil spill
- Honda recall: Over 187,000 Honda Ridgeline trucks recalled over rearview camera issue
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- King of walks: 25-year-old Juan Soto breaks Mickey Mantle record
- Suspect in Los Angeles shooting of two Jewish men agrees to plead guilty to hate crimes
- 2 officers killed, inmate escapes in attack on prison van in France
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
DeSantis signs Florida bill making climate change a lesser priority and bans offshore wind turbines
Woman who fought off crocodile to save her twin sister honored by King Charles III
'The Voice': Team Legend and Team Reba lead with 4 singers in Top 5, including Instant Save winner
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
Supreme Court lets Louisiana use congressional map with new majority-Black district in 2024 elections
White House blocks release of Biden’s special counsel interview audio, says GOP is being political
Rory McIlroy dealing with another distraction on eve of PGA Championship