Current:Home > NewsTrump ordered to pay legal fees after failed lawsuit over ‘shocking and scandalous’ Steele dossier -Ascend Wealth Education
Trump ordered to pay legal fees after failed lawsuit over ‘shocking and scandalous’ Steele dossier
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:54:29
LONDON (AP) — Former U.S. President Donald Trump has been ordered to pay a six-figure legal bill to a company founded by a former British spy that he unsuccessfully sued for making what his lawyer called “shocking and scandalous” false claims that harmed his reputation.
A London judge, who threw out the case against Orbis Business Intelligence last month saying it was “bound to fail,” ordered Trump to pay legal fees of 300,000 pounds ($382,000), according to court documents released Thursday.
The British court case was one of few in which Trump, who is almost sure to win the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, was not a defendant as he faces massive legal problems back home.
Trump is charged in four criminal cases and faces a civil complaint in U.S. courts. He lost a subsequent defamation case in which a jury found him liable for sexual abuse, and has been ordered to pay $355 million after a fraud verdict against his businesses.
In England, he had gone on the offensive and sued Orbis, which was founded by Christopher Steele, who once ran the Russia desk for Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service, also known as MI6.
Steele was paid by Democrats for research that included salacious allegations Russians could potentially use to blackmail Trump. The so-called Steele dossier assembled in 2016 created a political storm just before Trump’s inauguration with rumors and uncorroborated allegations that have since been largely discredited.
Trump sued the company, saying the the dossier was phony and Orbis had violated British data protection laws.
Attorney Hugh Tomlinson said at an October hearing that the former president “suffered personal and reputational damage and distress” over claims in the dossier that he’d taken part in “sex parties” in St. Petersburg and consorted with sex workers in Moscow.
Tomlinson said the dossier “contained shocking and scandalous claims about the personal conduct of President Trump” and included allegations he paid bribes to Russian officials to further his business interests.
Orbis said the lawsuit should be thrown out because the report was never meant to be made public and was published by BuzzFeed without the permission of Steele or Orbis. It also said the claim was filed too late.
Judge Karen Steyn, who sided with Orbis in her Feb. 1 ruling, issued an order several days later on the legal costs.
She cut the amount of legal bills Orbis said it incurred — 634,000 pounds ($809,000) — by more than 50% because she said it was high considering there had only been a one-day hearing.
In 2022, a U.S. federal judge in Florida dismissed a Trump lawsuit against Steele, 2016 Democratic rival Hillary Clinton and former top FBI officials, rejecting his claims that they helped concoct the Russia investigation that overshadowed much of his administration.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Former DWAC CEO lied about merger talks with Trump Media, SEC lawsuit alleges
- Jury faults NY railroad -- mostly -- for 2015 crossing crash that killed 6
- Zach Edey injury update: Grizzlies rookie leaves game with ankle soreness after hot start
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Adidas apologizes for using Bella Hadid in 1972 Munich Olympic shoe ad
- Travis Barker's Daughter Alabama Barker, 18, Admits She's Taking Weight-Loss Medication
- Man who escaped from Oregon prison 30 years ago found in Georgia using dead child's identity, officials say
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Massachusetts Senate approved bill intended to strengthen health care system
Ranking
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Recalled Diamond Shruumz gummies contained illegal controlled substance, testing finds
- Here's who bought the record-setting Apex Stegosaurus for $45 million
- This week on Sunday Morning (July 21)
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Seattle police officer fired over ‘vile’ comments after death of Indian woman
- Panama president says repatriation of migrants crossing the Darien Gap will be voluntary
- Idaho inmate who escaped after hospital attack set to be sentenced
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Trump shooter's online activity shows searches of rally site, use of encrypted platforms, officials say
Rocket scientist. Engineer. Mogul. Meet 10 US Olympians with super impressive résumés
Tiger Woods in danger of missing cut at British Open again after 8-over 79 at Royal Troon
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Adidas apologizes for using Bella Hadid in 1972 Munich Olympic shoe ad
The NL Mess: A case for - and against - all 8 teams in wild-card quagmire
Taylor Swift sings 'Karma is the guy on the Chiefs' to Travis Kelce for 13th time