Current:Home > ContactRep. George Santos won’t seek reelection after scathing ethics report cites evidence of lawbreaking -Ascend Wealth Education
Rep. George Santos won’t seek reelection after scathing ethics report cites evidence of lawbreaking
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:50:12
WASHINGTON (AP) — The House Ethics committee in a scathing report Thursday said it has amassed “overwhelming evidence” of lawbreaking by Rep. George Santos of New York that has been sent to the Justice Department, concluding flatly that the Republican “cannot be trusted” after a monthslong investigation into his conduct.
Shortly after the panel’s report was released, Santos blasted it as a “politicized smear” in a tweet on X but said that he would not be seeking reelection to a second term.
The panel said that Santos knowingly caused his campaign committee to file false or incomplete reports with the Federal Election Commission; used campaign funds for personal purposes; and engaged in violations of the Ethics in Government Act as it relates to financial disclosure statements filed with the House.
Santos has maintained his innocence and had long refused to resign despite calls from many of his colleagues to do so.
The ethics panel’s report also detailed Santos’ lack of cooperation with its investigation and how he “evaded” straightforward requests for information.
The information that he did provide, according to the committee, “included material misstatements that further advanced falsehoods he made during his 2022 campaign.”
The report says that an investigative subcommittee decided to forgo bringing formal charges because it would have resulted in a “lengthy trial-like public adjudication and sanctions hearing” that only would have given Santos “further opportunity to delay any accountability.” The committee decided instead to send the full report to the House.
It urges House members “to take any action they deem appropriate and necessary” based on the report.
The findings by the investigative panel may be the least of Santos’ worries. The congressman faces a 23-count federal indictment that alleges he stole the identities of campaign donors and then used their credit cards to make tens of thousands of dollars in unauthorized charges. Federal prosecutors say Santos, who has pleaded not guilty, wired some of the money to his personal bank account and used the rest to pad his campaign coffers.
Santos, who represents parts of Queens and Long Island, is also accused of falsely reporting to the Federal Elections Commission that he had loaned his campaign $500,000 when he actually hadn’t given anything and had less than $8,000 in the bank. The fake loan was an attempt to convince Republican Party officials that he was a serious candidate, worth their financial support, the indictment says.
Santos easily survived a vote earlier this month to expel him from the House as most Republicans and 31 Democrats opted to withhold punishment while both his criminal trial and the House Ethics Committee investigation continued.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Coroner: Human remains found in former home of man convicted in slaying of wife
- Boxing star Ryan Garcia arrested for felony vandalism at Beverly Hills hotel
- Fans bid farewell to Pat Sajak, thank 'Wheel of Fortune' host for a 'historic' run
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- New Haven dedicates immigrant monument in square where Christopher Columbus statue was removed
- As consumers pump the brakes on EV purchases, hybrid production ramps up
- Amid Record-Breaking Heat Wave, Researchers Step Up Warnings About Risks Extreme Temperatures Pose to Children
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Iga Swiatek wins third consecutive French Open women's title after defeating Jasmine Paolini
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Watch: Bryce Harper's soccer-style celebration after monster home run in MLB London Series
- For the Slovenian school where Mavericks star Luka Doncic got his start, he’s still a hometown hero
- Caitlin Clark Breaks Silence on Not Making 2024 Olympics Team
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Caitlin Clark told Indiana Fever head coach that Team USA snub 'woke a monster'
- Michael Landon stubbornly failed to prioritize his health before cancer, daughter says
- Florida authorities warn of shark dangers along Gulf Coast beaches after 3 people are attacked
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Mega Millions winning numbers for June 7 drawing: Jackpot rises to $30 million
Massive grave slabs recovered from UK's oldest shipwreck
Best MLB stadium tours: Go behind the scenes at these ballparks
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Peak Performance
Caitlin Clark reacts to controversy after Chennedy Carter's cheap shot
Stanley Cup Final Game 1 Panthers vs. Oilers: How to watch, betting odds