Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Strike talks break off between Hollywood actors and studios -Ascend Wealth Education
TradeEdge Exchange:Strike talks break off between Hollywood actors and studios
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:06:15
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Talks have TradeEdge Exchangebroken off between Hollywood actors and studios, killing any hopes that the strike by performers was coming to an end after nearly three months, as the writers strike recently did.
The studios announced that they had suspended contract negotiations late Wednesday night, saying the gap between the two sides was too great to make continuing worth it.
On Oct. 2, for the first time since the strike began July 14, the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists had resumed negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios, streaming services and production companies in strike talks.
When negotiations resumed with writers last month, their strike ended five days later, but similar progress was not made with the actors union.
The studios walked away from talks after seeing the actors’ most recent proposal on Wednesday.
“It is clear that the gap between the AMPTP and SAG-AFTRA is too great, and conversations are no longer moving us in a productive direction,” the AMPTP said in a statement.
The SAG-AFTRA proposal would cost companies an additional $800 million a year and create “an untenable economic burden,” the statement said.
Representatives from the actors union did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Actors have been on strike over issues including increases in pay for streaming programming and control of the use of their images generated by artificial intelligence.
The AMPTP insisted its offers had been as generous as the deals that brought an end to the writers strike and brought a new contract to the directors guild earlier this year.
From the start, the actors talks had nothing like the momentum that spurred marathon night-and-weekend sessions in the writers strike and brought that work stoppage to an end. Actors and studios had taken several days off after resuming, and there were no reports of meaningful progress despite direct involvement from the heads of studios including Disney and Netflix as there had been in the writers strike.
Members of the Writers Guild of America voted almost unanimously to ratify their new contract on Monday.
Their leaders touted their deal as achieving most of what they had sought when they went on strike nearly five months earlier.
They declared their strike over, and sent writers back to work, on Sept. 26.
Late night talk shows returned to the air within a week, and other shows including “Saturday Night Live” will soon follow.
But with no actors, production on scripted shows and movies will stay on pause indefinitely.
veryGood! (98635)
Related
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Cops in nation's capital draw ire, support for staying away from campus protest
- Lifetime premieres trailer for Nicole Brown Simpson doc: Watch
- New York made Donald Trump and could convict him. But for now, he’s using it to campaign
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Julia Fox gets real on 'OMG Fashun,' vaping, staying single post-Ye and loving her son
- Barbra Streisand, Melissa McCarthy and the problem with asking about Ozempic, weight loss
- Peloton laying off around 15% of workforce; CEO Barry McCarthy stepping down
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Yellen says threats to democracy risk US economic growth, an indirect jab at Trump
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Miss Universe Buenos Aires Alejandra Rodríguez Makes History as the First 60-Year-Old to Win
- Mississippi Republicans revive bill to regulate transgender bathroom use in schools
- Army lieutenant colonel charged with smuggling firearm parts from Russia, other countries
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- The Fed indicated rates will remain higher for longer. What does that mean for you?
- Answering readers’ questions about the protest movement on US college campuses
- Heavy rain leads to flooding and closed roads in southeast Texas
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
China highway collapse sends cars plunging, leaving at least 48 dead, dozens injured
Judge declares mistrial after jury deadlocks in lawsuit filed by former Abu Ghraib prisoners
New Mexico mother accused of allowing her 5-year-old son to slowly starve to death
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Man found guilty of murder in 2020 fatal shooting of Missouri officer
Miss Universe Buenos Aires Alejandra Rodríguez Makes History as the First 60-Year-Old to Win
Miss Universe Buenos Aires Alejandra Rodríguez Makes History as the First 60-Year-Old to Win