Current:Home > MyEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|ICC prosecutors halt 13-year Kenya investigation that failed to produce any convictions -Ascend Wealth Education
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|ICC prosecutors halt 13-year Kenya investigation that failed to produce any convictions
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-07 01:48:03
THE HAGUE,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center Netherlands (AP) — The International Criminal Court prosecutor’s office announced Monday it is halting its long-running investigation into deadly violence that broke out in Kenya after the African nation’s 2007 presidential election.
The decision was announced at a time when the prosecutor’s office is appealing for extra resources as it investigates ongoing conflicts including the war in Ukraine and the Israel-Hamas war.
The Kenya investigation that opened in 2010 led to charges against six suspects, including the country’s current and former presidents, but ultimately did not yield any successful prosecutions, amid claims of witness intimidation and political interference. All charges against the suspects were either withdrawn, terminated or tossed out by pre-trial judges.
Among the suspects charged but never convicted were then-President Uhuru Kenyatta and then-Deputy President William Ruto.
Prosecutors also have charged three Kenyans with interfering with witnesses. One of those suspects died and two others remain at large. They could still be put on trial at the ICC if they are captured and sent to The Hague.
Post-election violence in 2007 and 2008 left more than 1,000 people dead and forced 600,000 from their homes in Kenya.
“After assessing all the information available to me at this time, I have decided to conclude the investigation phase,” ICC Deputy Prosecutor Nazhat Shameem Khan said in a statement.
The court’s prosecutor, Karim Khan, was previously Ruto’s defense lawyer at the ICC and recused himself from all Kenya investigations in 2021. Ruto’s trial was halted after prosecutors finished presenting their case and Khan successfully argued that the evidence was not strong enough.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Dolly Parton reveals hilarious reason she couldn't join Princess Kate for tea in London
- Colts unable to find trade partner for All-Pro RB Jonathan Taylor
- Lionel Messi, Inter Miami face Nashville SC in MLS game: How to watch
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Steve Scalise announces he has very treatable blood cancer
- Hurricane Idalia: Preparedness tips, resources to help keep your family safe
- Climate change makes wildfires in California more explosive
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- High school football coach arrested, charged with battery after hitting player on sideline
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Louisiana plagued by unprecedented wildfires, as largest active blaze grows
- Yankees release former AL MVP Josh Donaldson amidst struggles, injuries in Bronx
- Dozens dead from Maui wildfires: What we know about the victims
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Oher seeks contract and payment information related to ‘The Blind Side’ in conservatorship battle
- What does 'ily' mean? Show your loved ones you care with this text abbreviation.
- Hungary’s Orbán urges US to ‘call back Trump’ to end Ukraine war in Tucker Carlson interview
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
EPA head says he’s ‘proud” of decision to block Alaska mine and protect salmon-rich Bristol Bay
Why NFL Fans Are Convinced Joe Burrow Is Engaged to Olivia Holzmacher
'AGT': Sword swallower Andrew Stanton shocks Simon Cowell with 'brilliantly disgusting' act
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Phillies set to use facial authentication to identify ticketholders
West Virginia University recommends keeping some language classes, moving forward with axing majors
Sinéad O'Connor's children express gratitude for support a month after Irish singer's death