Current:Home > MyActors vote to approve deal that ended strike, bringing relief to union leaders and Hollywood -Ascend Wealth Education
Actors vote to approve deal that ended strike, bringing relief to union leaders and Hollywood
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 00:58:15
LOS ANGELES — Hollywood's actors have voted to ratify the deal with studios that ended their strike after nearly four months, leaders announced Tuesday.
The approval of the three-year contract from the members of the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists was no certainty, with some prominent members voicing dissent on the deal for which the union leaders bargained.
The 78% yes result in voting that began Nov. 13 and ended Tuesday was a far cry from the near-unanimous approval and widespread enthusiasm members of the writers guild gave to the deal that ended their strike in September.
"Today we close out one of the most important chapters in recent entertainment industry history," the union said in a tweet announcing the results Tuesday evening.
But the outcome is a major relief for SAG-AFTRA leaders and an entertainment industry that is attempting to return to normal after months of labor strife. And it brings a final, official end to Hollywood labor's most tumultuous year in half a century, with two historic strikes that shook the industry.
A rejection of the agreement would have meant a return to the bargaining table and, with that, the possibility of the actors going back on strike if leaders called for it.
Those leaders had freed actors to return to work, declaring the strike over as soon as the tentative deal was struck Nov. 8. Two days later, it was approved by the guild's board with an 86% vote.
SAG strike is over, but what's next?Here's when you can expect your shows and movies back
Control over the use of artificial intelligence was the most hard-fought issue in the long, methodical negotiations between SAG-AFTRA and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents studios, streaming services and production companies.
SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher told The Associated Press shortly after the resolution was reached that making sure AI reproductions of actors could only be used with their informed consent and compensation was a "deal breaker" in the talks.
But they did not fight hard enough for some prominent members, including actors Justine Bateman and Matthew Modine, who cited the issue as a reason to vote "no," and stoked fears many voters would follow their lead.
"I cannot endorse a contract that compromises the independence and financial futures of the performers," Modine, who ran against Drescher for union president in 2021 and was also among the board members to reject the deal, said in a statement. "It is purposefully vague and demands union members to release their autonomy.... Consent is surrender."
More:'Insecure' actress DomiNque Perry accuses Darius Jackson's brother Sarunas of abuse
But many other prominent actors voiced strong support for the agreement, including Academy Award winner Jessica Chastain and Colman Domingo, who is getting major Oscars buzz this year for his performance in " Rustin."
"I believe that we have an incredible deal, I believe it's thoughtful and it's about moving the needle forward," Domingo told the AP last week. "I'm very happy with it. I voted yes."
The contract calls for a 7% general pay increase with further hikes coming in the second and third years of the deal.
The deal also includes a hard-won provision that temporarily derailed talks: the creation of a fund to pay performers for future viewings of their work on streaming services, in addition to traditional residuals paid for the showing of movies or series.
The provision is an attempt to bring payment systems in line with an industry now dominated by streaming, a reality that is almost certain to fuel more labor fights — and possibly more strikes — in the coming years.
More:Hollywood writers officially ratify new contract with studios that ended 5-month strike
Contributing: John Carucci, The Associated Press
veryGood! (88)
Related
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Billion-dollar Mitsubishi chemical plant economically questionable, energy group says
- Donald Trump’s lawyers urge New York appeals court to overturn ‘egregious’ civil fraud verdict
- A’ja Wilson’s basketball dominance is driven by joy. Watch her work at Paris Olympics.
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Oscar Mayer Wienermobile in rollover wreck in Illinois, no injuries reported
- For Appalachian Artists, the Landscape Is Much More Than the Sum of Its Natural Resources
- Simone Biles' husband, Jonathan Owens, will get to watch Olympics team, all-around final
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- For Appalachian Artists, the Landscape Is Much More Than the Sum of Its Natural Resources
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Russia says its fighter jets intercepted 2 U.S. strategic bombers in the Arctic
- How Benny Blanco Celebrated Hottest Chick Selena Gomez on 32nd Birthday
- Safety regulators are investigating another low flight by a Southwest jet, this time in Florida
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Coca-Cola raises full-year sales guidance after stronger-than-expected second quarter
- Search called off for small airplane that went missing in fog and rain over southeast Alaska
- See Claim to Fame Contestant Dedrick’s “Strange” Reaction to Celebrity Relative Guesses
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Horoscopes Today, July 22, 2024
Blake Lively Jokes She Wasn't Invited to Madonna's House With Ryan Reynolds
Radical British preacher Anjem Choudary convicted of directing a terrorist group
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Blake Lively Quips She’d Be an “A--hole” If She Did This
Bulls, Blackhawks owners unveil $7 billion plan to transform area around United Center
Abdul 'Duke' Fakir, last surviving member of Motown group Four Tops, dies at 88