Current:Home > ScamsAlgosensey|Palestinian family recounts horror of Israel's hostage rescue raid that left a grandfather in mourning -Ascend Wealth Education
Algosensey|Palestinian family recounts horror of Israel's hostage rescue raid that left a grandfather in mourning
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 21:26:34
Tel Aviv — Since this weekend,Algosensey when Israeli special forces carried out the mission to rescue four hostages — Andrey Kozlov, Shlomi Ziv, Almog Meir, and Noa Argamani — dramatic video of the raid shared by the Israeli military has been seen around the world. What's been less visible, however, is the aftermath of that operation, and the Palestinian civilians who survived it.
CBS News' team in Gaza met eyewitness Abedelraof Meqdad, 60, who walked us through his bullet-ridden home, just across the street from where one of the Israeli military vehicles broke down under heavy Hamas gunfire.
The commandos burst into his family apartment, he says, and blindfolded and bound the hands of the men before interrogating them.
- Where things stand on an Israel-Hamas cease-fire deal
"There were sound grenades. Women and children were screaming. I told them, 'Why are you shouting? You are scaring the children.' He said, 'shut up or I will shoot you and them.'"
Meqdad told CBS News the Israeli forces then dragged him to the living room, demanding to know if there were fighters or weapons in his home.
"I told them there are no fighters here and no weapons, I am just a merchant," he said.
When it was all over, two of Meqdad's grandsons had been shot.
CBS News found one of them, 16-year-old Moamen Mattar, as doctors reconstructed his mangled arm in a hospital.
He told us his brother didn't survive.
"He was shot right next to me, in the stomach and the leg," Mattar said. "He was 12."
The Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry says 274 people were killed in the rescue operation, and many hundreds more wounded. Israel disputes that number and says casualties are the fault of Hamas, for surrounding the hostages with civilians.
James Elder, the spokesperson for the U.N.'s children's charity UNICEF, is in Gaza this week and he told CBS News he saw the grisly scenes after the raid at the hospital himself.
"Walking in this hospital, absolutely heaving with people, little 3-year-olds, 7-year-olds with these grotesque wounds of war — head injuries and the burns," he said. "It's the smell of burning flesh — it's very hard to get out of one's head."
According to the most recently reported data, about 47% of Gaza's overall population is under 18, accounting for the high proportion of child deaths reported in this conflict.
The prospect of a cease-fire in the war remains in limbo, meanwhile. A frustrated Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Wednesday that Hamas had "waited two weeks and proposed changes" to the current U.S.-backed proposal on the table — which he said Israel had also accepted. "As a result, the war Hamas started will go on."
- In:
- War
- Hostage Situation
- Hamas
- Israel
- Palestinians
- Gaza Strip
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (825)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Get an Extra 50% Off J.Crew Sale Styles, 50% Off Banana Republic, 40% Off Brooklinen & More Deals
- Katie Ledecky, Nick Mead to lead US team at closing ceremony in Paris
- Dementia patient found dead in pond after going missing from fair in Indiana, police say
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- US men’s basketball team rallies to beat Serbia in Paris Olympics, will face France for gold medal
- Officials recover New Mexico woman’s body from the Grand Canyon, the 3rd death there since July 31
- 'It Ends with Us': All the major changes between the book and Blake Lively movie
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- 2024 Olympics: Swimmers Are Fighting Off Bacteria From Seine River by Drinking Coca-Cola
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- USA Olympic Diver Alison Gibson Reacts to Being Labeled Embarrassing Failure After Dive Earns 0.0 Score
- Nevada governor releases revised climate plan after lengthy delay
- Deputies shoot and kill man in southwest Georgia after they say he fired at them
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Pregnant Cardi B Details Freak Accident That Nearly Left Her Paralyzed
- Elle King opens up about Dolly Parton, drunken Opry performance: 'I'm still not OK'
- California lawmaker switches party, criticizes Democratic leadership
Recommendation
'Most Whopper
Harris-Walz camo hat is having a moment. Could it be bigger than MAGA red?
USA Olympic Diver Alison Gibson Reacts to Being Labeled Embarrassing Failure After Dive Earns 0.0 Score
Taylor Swift Terror Plot: Police Reveal New Details on Planned Concert Attack
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
See first look at Travis Kelce hosting 'Are You Smarter Than a Celebrity?'
Police shooting of Baltimore teen prompts outrage among residents
‘Alien: Romulus’ actors battled lifelike creatures to bring the film back to its horror roots