Current:Home > MarketsUAW announces new approach in its historic strike against the Big Three automakers -Ascend Wealth Education
UAW announces new approach in its historic strike against the Big Three automakers
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 03:59:33
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain said on Friday the union would not expand the strike immediately against the Big Three automakers, but left open the possibility that it could do so at any time.
Fain, in a Facebook Live appearance, called this a "new phase" in the union's fight against General Motors, Ford and Stellantis as the strike enters its fifth week.
Fain had previously used his Facebook Live presentations to announce strike plans, but the UAW changed tactics earlier this week when the union called on 8,700 workers at Ford's Kentucky Truck Plant to walk off the job after Ford declined to offer a better contract.
"We're not sticking to one pattern, or one system of giving these companies an extra hour or an extra day," said Fain said on Friday morning. "They know what needs to happen, and they know how to get it done."
No deal in sight yet
Fain's remarks come as the union and the Big Three automakers still appear at loggerheads over a new contract.
The UAW has made clear that the automakers' offers still fall short of the union's demands.
Ford, GM and Stellantis have all said they've already put record offers on the table that include wage increases of more than 20% over four years, the return of cost of living allowances, a faster progression to the top wage, additional paid holidays and more.
Other sticking points remain, including retirement security and whether there will be union jobs at electric vehicle battery plants.
Ford reacted angrily to the UAW's sudden decision this week to strike at its Louisville plant.
In a media call on Thursday, Ford said it had reached an economic ceiling on what it can offer, although the automaker said it was willing to adjust components of its offer.
"On the economics, I would say, yes, we're pretty much — we have reached our limit," said Kumar Galhotra, president of Ford Blue, the automaker's internal combustion and hybrid division.
"We have to set a very clear limit beyond which it starts to hurt our business and starts to hurt our future, and that is not good for anybody."
veryGood! (79)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- More than a hundred Haitian migrants arrived in a sailboat off the Florida Keys
- 22 million Make It Mini toys recalled after dozens report skin burns, irritation
- Notre Dame swimming should be celebrating. But an investigation into culture concerns changes things
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- IRS delays in resolving identity theft cases are ‘unconscionable,’ an independent watchdog says
- Keira Knightley recalls Donald Sutherland wearing gas mask to party: 'Unbelievably intimidated'
- New Jersey lawmakers advance $56.6 billion budget, hiking taxes on businesses aiming to help transit
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- CBS News price tracker shows how much food, utility and housing costs are rising
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- 2024 NBA mock draft: Final projections for every Round 1 pick
- Watch: Las Vegas Sphere sweats profusely with sunburn in extreme summer heat
- Timberwolves acquire Rob Dillingham, eighth pick of 2024 NBA draft. What you need to know
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Kourtney Kardashian Details How She Keeps Her “Vagina Intact” After Giving Birth
- California doctor who intentionally drove Tesla off cliff will not face trial
- Knicks continue to go all-in as they reach $212 million deal with OG Anunoby
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Volkswagen is recalling over 271,000 SUVs because front passenger air bag may not inflate in a crash
Mega Millions winning numbers for June 25 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $97 million
NYC’s transit budget is short $16 billion. Here are the proposed cuts, as the governor seeks funds
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
The Daily Money: ISO affordable housing
Get Shiny Frizz-Free Hair, the Perfect Red Lipstick, Hailey Bieber Blush & More New Beauty Launches
Why 'RHONY' alum Kelly Bensimon called off her wedding to Scott Litner days before the ceremony