Current:Home > InvestPrince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail publisher legal fees for failed court challenge -Ascend Wealth Education
Prince Harry ordered to pay Daily Mail publisher legal fees for failed court challenge
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 23:37:40
LONDON (AP) — A judge ordered Prince Harry on Monday to pay nearly 50,000 pounds (more than $60,000) in legal fees to the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid for his failed court challenge in a libel lawsuit.
The Duke of Sussex is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd. over an article that said Harry tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after leaving his role as a working member of the royal family.
Justice Matthew Nicklin ruled Friday in the High Court in London that the publisher has a “real prospect” of showing that statements issued on Harry’s behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an “honest opinion” and wasn’t libelous.
“The defendant may well submit that this was a masterclass in the art of ‘spinning,’” Nicklin wrote, in refusing to strike the honest opinion defense.
Harry has claimed the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper defamed him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements over efforts to challenge the government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, also has a lawsuit pending against the government’s decision to protect him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. He claims that hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by the news media threaten their safety.
Nicklin said a libel trial lasting three to four days will be scheduled between May 17 and July 31.
The 48,447 pounds ($60,927) in legal fees Harry was ordered to pay by Dec. 29 is likely to be dwarfed by the amount paid to lawyers in another lawsuit the duke has brought against the publisher.
Associated Newspapers is one of three British tabloid publishers he’s suing over claims they used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt on him.
The Mail publisher failed last month in its bid to throw out that lawsuit, though it prevailed in getting some evidence barred from trial. Nicklin — who is also hearing that case — is considering what to award in lawyer’s costs for each party’s respective wins.
Harry and co-claimants that include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley said they spent 1.7 million ($2.1 million) to prepare for and argue their case at a hearing over several days in March. The publisher, meanwhile, is seeking up to 755,000 pounds ($949,000).
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (86677)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- How is Scott Stapp preparing for Creed's reunion tour? Sleep, exercise and honey
- Kate Hudson Addresses Past Romance With Nick Jonas
- Michael Strahan's Daughter Isabella Strahan Details Pain of Heart “Cramping” Amid Cancer Journey
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Bud Light slips again, falling behind Modelo and Michelob Ultra after boycott
- Flight Attendant Helps Deliver Baby the Size of Her Hand in Airplane Bathroom
- Travis Barker's Daughter Alabama Barker, 18, Admits She's Taking Weight-Loss Medication
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Taco Bell adds cheesy street chalupas to menu for limited time
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Georgia man arraigned on charges of threatening FBI Director Christopher Wray, authorities say
- Will Smith and Johnny Depp Seen on Yacht Trip Together
- What to know about the Secret Service’s Counter Sniper Team
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- New Orleans Saints tackle Ryan Ramczyk will miss 2024 season
- ACOTAR Book Fans Want This Bridgerton Star to Play Feyre in TV Show Adaptation
- Shelter provider accused of pervasive sexual abuse of migrant children in U.S. custody
Recommendation
Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
Video tutorial: How to use ChatGPT to spice up your love life
Lou Dobbs, conservative political commentator, dies at 78
Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders announces trade mission to Europe
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Priscilla Presley sues former associates, alleging elder abuse and financial fraud
Boy who was reported missing from a resort near Disney World found dead in water
Michael Strahan’s Daughter Isabella Strahan Celebrates Being Cancer-Free