Current:Home > MyWatchdog group says attack that killed videographer ‘explicitly targeted’ Lebanon journalists -Ascend Wealth Education
Watchdog group says attack that killed videographer ‘explicitly targeted’ Lebanon journalists
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:18:25
BEIRUT (AP) — A watchdog group advocating for press freedom said that the strikes that hit a group of journalists in southern Lebanon earlier this month, killing one, were targeted rather than accidental and that the journalists were clearly identified as press.
Reporters Without Borders, or RSF, published preliminary conclusions Sunday in an ongoing investigation, based on video evidence and witness testimonies, into two strikes that killed Reuters videographer Issam Abdallah and wounded six journalists from Reuters, AFP and Al Jazeera as they were covering clashes on the southern Lebanese border on Oct. 13.
The first strike killed Abdallah, and the second hit a vehicle belonging to an Al Jazeera team, injuring journalists standing next to it. Both came from the direction of the Israeli border, the report said, but it did not explicitly name Israel as being responsible.
“What we can prove with facts, with evidence for the moment, is that the location where the journalists were standing was explicitly targeted...and they were clearly identifiable as journalists,” the head of RSF’s Middle East desk, Jonathan Dagher, told The Associated Press Monday. “It shows that the killing of Issam Abdallah was not an accident.”
Dagher said there is not enough evidence at this stage to say the group was targeted specifically because they were journalists.
However, the report noted that the journalists wore helmets and vests marked “press,” as was the vehicle, and cited the surviving journalists as saying that they had been standing in clear view for an hour and saw an Israeli Apache helicopter flying over them before the strikes.
Carmen Joukhadar, an Al Jazeera correspondent who was wounded that day and suffered shrapnel wounds in her arms and legs, told the AP the journalists had positioned themselves some 3 kilometers (2 miles) away from the clashes.
Regular skirmishes have flared up between Israeli forces and armed groups in Lebanon since the deadly Oct. 7 attack by the militant Palestinian group Hamas on southern Israel that sparked a war in the blockaded Gaza Strip.
“Everything was on the other hill, nothing next to us,” Joukhadar said. “If there was shelling next to us, we would have left immediately.”
The Lebanese army accused Israel of attacking the group of journalists.
Israeli officials have said that they do not deliberately target journalists.
Reuters spokesperson Heather Carpenter said that the news organization is reviewing the RSF report and called for “Israeli authorities to conduct a swift, thorough and transparent probe into what happened.”
The Israeli military has said the incident is under review. When asked to comment on the RSF report, the military referred back to an Oct. 15 statement. In the statement, it said that Israeli forces responded with tank and artillery fire to an anti-tank missile fired by Hezbollah across the border that evening and a “suspected a terrorist infiltration into Israeli territory” and later received a report that journalists had been injured.
—
Associated Press writers Julia Frankel and Josef Federman contributed from Jerusalem.
veryGood! (245)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- China’s exports in November edged higher for the first time in 7 months, while imports fell
- Arizona man connected to 2022 Australian terrorist attack indicted on threat counts
- Families had long dialogue after Pittsburgh synagogue attack. Now they’ve unveiled a memorial design
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- China’s exports in November edged higher for the first time in 7 months, while imports fell
- Vanessa Hudgens marries baseball player Cole Tucker in custom Vera Wang: See photos
- West Africa court refuses to recognize Niger’s junta, rejects request to lift coup sanctions
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Need an Ugly Christmas Sweater Stat? These 30 Styles Ship Fast in Time for Last-Minute Holiday Parties
Ranking
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 1000-Lb. Sisters’ Tammy Slaton Returns Home After 14-Month Stay in Weight Loss Rehab
- Mexico focuses on looking for people falsely listed as missing, ignores thousands of disappeared
- Mississippi’s top lawmakers skip initial budget proposals because of disagreement with governor
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Robert Pattinson and Suki Waterhouse Make First Public Appearance Together Since Pregnancy Reveal
- NFL Week 14 odds: Moneylines, point spreads, over/under
- Why the Albanian opposition is disrupting parliament with flares, makeshift barricades and fires
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
U.S. sanctions money lending network to Houthi rebels in Yemen, tied to Iranian oil sales
Nearly $5 billion in additional student loan forgiveness approved by Biden administration
LeBron James once again addresses gun violence while in Las Vegas for In-Season Tournament
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Beyoncé celebrates 'Renaissance' film debuting at No. 1: 'Worth all the grind'
White House delays menthol cigarette ban, alarming anti-smoking advocates
Tom Suozzi appears to be Democrats' choice in special election for George Santos' congressional seat