Current:Home > ScamsRobert Brown|DNA from pizza crust linked Gilgo Beach murders suspect to victim, court documents say -Ascend Wealth Education
Robert Brown|DNA from pizza crust linked Gilgo Beach murders suspect to victim, court documents say
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:02:45
DNA from a pizza crust that was discarded earlier this year was used to link the suspect charged in the Gilgo murders case with one of the victims,Robert Brown prosecutors allege in court documents released Friday.
Rex Heuermann, 59, has been charged with three counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello, according to the indictment. Those three women, along with Maureen Brainard-Barnes, were all found in close proximity to one another in 2010 and have been called the "Gilgo Beach Four."
In all, the bodies of at least 10 women were found in the area, believed to be the victims of a serial killer. Some of the victims had been wrapped in burlap.
In court Friday, Heuermann pleaded not guilty, and the judge ordered him held without bail. In the court filing, prosecutors outlined how investigators reexamined old clues that led to the suspect and developed new evidence to close in on him after so many years.
According to the newly released court documents, on or about Jan. 26, 2023, a surveillance team recovered a pizza box thrown by Heuermann into a garbage can on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.
"This pizza box was sent to the Suffolk County Crime Laboratory for analysis, where a swab was taken from the leftover pizza crust," prosecutors wrote.
About three months later, on April 28, a detective hand-delivered a portion of male hair that was found on Megan Waterman that had been preserved as evidence to the same lab where the pizza crust had been tested.
On or about June 12, 2023, the forensic lab compared the mitochondrial DNA from the pizza and the hair and determined that the "DNA profile(s) are the same" — specifically that 99.96% of the North American population would be excluded as matches to the hair.
"It is significant that (Heuermann) cannot be excluded from the male hair recovered near the 'bottom of the burlap' utilized to restrain and transport Megan Waterman's naked and deceased body," prosecutors wrote.
Prosecutors said investigators were led to Heuermann initially after a witness reported seeing a pickup truck matching the model he owned when one of the victims disappeared in 2010. They also linked him to other evidence including burner phones used to arrange meetings with the victims.
Heuermann was arrested late Thursday and was charged Friday.
If convicted, he faces multiple life sentences without parole, authorities said.
CBS News senior investigative reporter Pat Milton contributed to this report.
- In:
- Gilgo Beach Serial Killer
- Gilgo Beach Murders
- DNA
- Murder
- Long Island
Stephen Smith is a senior editor for CBSNews.com.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Biden to sign executive order on federal funding for Native Americans
- Jury acquits officer in Maryland county’s first police murder charge in shooting handcuffed man
- A new Homeland Security guide aims to help houses of worship protect themselves
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Texas Court Strikes Down Air Pollution Permit for Gulf Coast Oil Terminal
- LSU's Jayden Daniels headlines the USA TODAY Sports college football All-America team
- A group of Norwegian unions says it will act against Tesla in solidarity with its Swedish colleagues
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- AP PHOTOS: An earthquake, a shipwreck and a king’s coronation are among Europe’s views in 2023
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Von Miller still 'part of the team' and available to play vs Chiefs, Bills GM says
- Young nurse practicing cardiac arrest treatment goes into cardiac arrest
- Chicago man pleads guilty in shooting of three undercover federal officers
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Arizona man charged over online posts that allegedly incited Australian attack in which 6 died
- 2-year-old Arizona boy dies from ingesting fentanyl; father charged in case
- Norman Lear, producer of TV’s ‘All in the Family’ and influential liberal advocate, has died at 101
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Michael Urie keeps the laughter going as he stars in a revival of Broadway ‘Spamalot’
Michigan university bars student vote on issues related to Israel-Hamas war
Taco Bell brings back double decker tacos after nearly year-long hiatus
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Queens man indicted on hate crime charges in attack on Jewish tourist in Times Square
Dodgers, Blue Jays the front-runners for Shohei Ohtani, but Cubs look out of contention
Biden says he's not sure he'd be running for reelection if Trump weren't