Current:Home > MarketsColombia extends cease-fire with FARC splinter group in bid to reduce rural violence -Ascend Wealth Education
Colombia extends cease-fire with FARC splinter group in bid to reduce rural violence
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 04:28:08
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government has extended a cease-fire with the FARC-EMC rebel group that was set to expire this week, as both sides hold peace talks in Bogota in an effort to reduce violence in rural parts of the country.
The cease-fire will now last until July 15, according to a decree signed Sunday by President Gustavo Petro, and it requires that the rebels cease attacks on civilians in areas under their control – a crucial measure according to some analysts.
“The cease-fires we have seen (during the Petro administration) so far, have really only limited the clashes between the government and the rebel groups, but haven’t had a real impact on the lives of communities” said Elizabeth Dickinson, a Colombia analyst at the International Crisis Group. “What we get to see now is whether this ceasefire can change that paradigm.”
Colombia’s government in October announced peace talks with the FARC-EMC splinter group after both sides agreed to a three-month long cease-fire.
The group of around 3,500 fighters is led by rebel commanders who did not join a 2016 peace deal between the Colombian government and the main FARC group that ended five decades of war.
While homicides in Colombia have gone down since the 2016 peace deal was signed, there has been an uptick in violence in some rural pockets of the country, where groups like the FARC-EMC, the National Liberation Army and the Gulf Clan are fighting over territory abandoned by the FARC.
Petro’s administration has attempted to hold simultaneous peace talks with these groups, as part of the president’s “Total Peace” plan. But critics say that cease-fires with the nation’s remaining rebel groups have done little to stop attacks on the population, with the rebels using the cessation of hostilities with the military as an opportunity to recruit teenagers, extort local businesses and kidnap civilians for hefty ransom payments – including the father of a famous soccer player.
The new cease-fire with the government also requires that the rebels not threaten community leaders or control the movements of villagers in rural areas, who are sometimes confined to their villages by the rebel groups.
The FARC-EMC and the government have disclosed few details about their current round of talks, which are being held in the nation’s capital. But they have hinted that they will discuss the implementation of economic projects aimed at transforming rural areas, where impoverished farmers have opted to grow illegal crops to make a living.
Sustainable development projects aimed at decreasing deforestation are also being discussed, according to the government’s lead negotiator, Camilo González Posso.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (534)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Casey, McCormick to appear alone on Senate ballots in Pennsylvania after courts boot off challengers
- 2 Black officers allege discrimination at police department
- Women’s March Madness live updates: Iowa State makes historic comeback, bracket, highlights
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Republican Mike Boudreaux advances to special election to complete term of ousted Speaker McCarthy
- Carlee Russell pleads guilty and avoids jail time over fake kidnapping hoax, reports say
- Nearly 108,000 Americans died of drug overdoses in 2022, breaking record, CDC says
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Midwest commuters face heavy snow starting Friday as New England braces for winter storm
Ranking
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Carlee Russell pleads guilty and avoids jail time over fake kidnapping hoax, reports say
- Ariana Grande, Josh Peck and the problem with punishing child stars
- We Found the 24 Best Travel Deals From Amazon's Big Spring Sale 2024: 57% off Luggage & More
- Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
- Iceland's latest volcanic eruption will have an impact as far as Russia
- George Santos says he’ll ditch GOP, run as independent, in bid to return to Congress after expulsion
- Is there a winner of the $977M Mega Millions jackpot? Numbers have been drawn and it’s time to wait
Recommendation
Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
Trump's Truth Social set to go public after winning merger vote
March Madness games today: Everything to know about NCAA Tournament schedule on Friday
Virginia police identify 5 killed in small private jet crash near rural airport
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Republican Mike Boudreaux advances to special election to complete term of ousted Speaker McCarthy
Prince Harry, Duchess Meghan speak out on Princess Kate's cancer diagnosis
California doubles water allocation for most contractors following February storms