Current:Home > ContactRekubit-TikTok let through disinformation in political ads despite its own ban, Global Witness finds -Ascend Wealth Education
Rekubit-TikTok let through disinformation in political ads despite its own ban, Global Witness finds
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 21:21:19
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Just weeks before the U.S. presidential election,Rekubit TikTok approved advertisements that contained election disinformation even though it has a ban on political ads, according to a report published Thursday by the nonprofit Global Witness.
The technology and environmental watchdog group submitted ads that it designed to test how well systems at social media companies work in detecting different types of election misinformation.
The group, which did a similar investigation two years ago, did find that the companies — especially Facebook — have improved their content-moderation systems since then.
But it called out TikTok for approving four of the eight ads submitted for review that contained falsehoods about the election. That’s despite the platform’s ban on all political ads in place since 2019.
The ads never appeared on TikTok because Global Witness pulled them before they went online.
“Four ads were incorrectly approved during the first stage of moderation, but did not run on our platform,” TikTok spokesman Ben Rathe said. “We do not allow political advertising and will continue to enforce this policy on an ongoing basis.”
Facebook, which is owned by Meta Platforms Inc., “did much better” and approved just one of the eight submitted ads, according to the report.
In a statement, Meta said while “this report is extremely limited in scope and as a result not reflective of how we enforce our policies at scale, we nonetheless are continually evaluating and improving our enforcement efforts.”
Google’s YouTube did the best, Global Witness said, approving four ads but not letting any publish. It asked for more identification from the Global Witness testers before it would publish them and “paused” their account when they didn’t. However, the report said it is not clear whether the ads would have gone through had Global Witness provided the required identification.
Google did not immediately respond to a message for comment.
Companies nearly always have stricter policies for paid ads than they do for regular posts from users. The ads submitted by Global Witness included outright false claims about the election — such as stating that Americans can vote online — as well as false information designed to suppress voting, like claims that voters must pass an English test before casting a ballot. Other fake ads encouraged violence or threatened electoral workers and processes.
veryGood! (5222)
Related
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Three found dead at remote Rocky Mountain campsite were trying to escape society, stepsister says
- A federal judge strikes down a Texas law requiring age verification to view pornographic websites
- Influencer Ruby Franke’s Sisters Speak Out After She’s Arrested on Child Abuse Charges
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Trump-era rule change allowing the logging of old-growth forests violates laws, judge says
- Rising tensions between employers and employees have put the labor back in this year’s Labor Day
- Texas high court allows law banning gender-affirming care for transgender minors to take effect
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- X's new privacy policy allows it to collect users' biometric data
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Dog repeatedly escapes animal shelter, sneaks into nursing home, is adopted by residents
- As U.S. COVID hospitalizations rise, some places are bringing mask mandates back
- FDA sends warning letter to 3 major formula makers over quality control concerns
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- From stage to screen: A concert film of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour heads to theaters
- Giuliani to enter not guilty plea in Fulton County case, waive arraignment
- Prepare to be Charmed by Kaley Cuoco's Attempt at Recreating a Hair Tutorial
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Bill 'Spaceman' Lee 'stable' after experiencing 'health scare' at minor league game
Police stop Nebraska man for bucking the law with a bull riding shotgun in his car
Hurricane Idalia's financial toll could reach $20 billion
Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
Two and a Half Men's Angus T. Jones Spotted on Rare Outing—With His Flip Phone
The pause is over. As student loan payments resume, how to make sure you're prepared
USA TODAY Sports staff makes college football picks: Check out the predictions for 2023