Current:Home > InvestUN agency report says Iran has further increased its uranium stockpile -Ascend Wealth Education
UN agency report says Iran has further increased its uranium stockpile
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 04:00:48
VIENNA (AP) — Iran has further increased its stockpile of uranium enriched to nearly weapons-grade levels, according to a report by the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog seen by The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The International Atomic Energy Agency also said that Iran has pushed back against the agency’s objections to Tehran’s ban on some of its inspectors designated to monitor the country’s nuclear program.
In its confidential quarterly report distributed to member states, the International Atomic Energy Agency said that according to its assessment, as of Oct. 28, Iran has an estimated 128.3 kilograms (282.9 pounds) of uranium enriched up to 60% purity, which represents an increase of 6.7 kilograms since its September report.
Uranium enriched at 60% purity is just a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels of 90%.
The IAEA report also estimated that as of Oct. 28, Iran’s total enriched uranium stockpile was at 4,486.8 kilograms, an increase of 691.3 kilograms since the last quarterly report in September 2023.
In an effort to ensure Iran could not develop nuclear weapons, world powers struck a deal with Tehran in 2015 under which it agreed to limit enrichment of uranium to levels necessary for nuclear power in exchange for the lifting of economic sanctions. U.N. inspectors were tasked with monitoring the program.
Then-President Donald Trump unilaterally pulled the U.S. out of the accord in 2018, saying he would negotiate a stronger deal, but that didn’t happen. Iran began breaking the terms a year later. Those included provisions that Iran was allowed to enrich uranium only up to 3.67% purity and maintain a stockpile of uranium of 300 kilograms.
U.S. President Joe Biden has said he’d be willing to re-enter a nuclear deal with Iran, but formal talks to try to find a roadmap to restart the deal collapsed in August 2022.
Iran has long denied ever seeking nuclear weapons and continues to insist that its nuclear program is entirely for peaceful purposes. But the IAEA’s director-general has warned Tehran has enough enriched uranium for “several” nuclear bombs if it chose to build them.
In a second confidential report distributed to member states, the watchdog said that no progress has been made on its request that Iran explain the origin and current location of manmade uranium particles found at two locations that Tehran has failed to declare as potential nuclear sites, which the IAEA named as Varamin and Turquzabad.
The report also says that there is no progress thus far in getting more monitoring equipment, including cameras, re-installed that had been removed by Iran in June 2022. Iran responded to criticism by the U.S., Britain, France and Germany on that issue by barring several of the IAEA’s most experienced inspectors from monitoring its nuclear program.
IAEA director general Rafael Grossi has sought to persuade Iran to relent.
But according to the latest report, Mohammad Eslami, the head of Iran’s civilian nuclear program, reasserted in a letter received Wednesday by the IAEA that it was “within its rights to de-designate the Agency inspectors” and stated that the watchdog’s “assertion” of the potential risks of impeding the conduct of inspections ‘is not compelling and lacks any legal basis.”
Eslami added, however, that he was “exploring possibilities to address the request” to reconsider the ban on the inspectors.
The IAEA has said it views as “extreme and unjustified” Iran’s decision to withdraw inspectors who come from three European countries that Eslami has reportedly said “regularly demonstrated harsh political behaviors.”
The latest IAEA reports come as tensions in the Middle East escalate.
veryGood! (273)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Where is 'College GameDay' for Week 6? Location, what to know for ESPN show
- Rapper Rich Homie Quan's cause of death revealed
- Davante Adams landing spots: Best fits for WR if Raiders trade him
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Mariska Hargitay Addresses Potential Taylor Swift Cameo on Law & Order: SVU
- Tribes celebrate the end of the largest dam removal project in US history
- A house cheaper than a car? Tiny home for less than $20,000 available on Amazon
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Lauryn Hill sued by Fugees' Pras Michel for fraud and breach of contract after tour cancellation
Ranking
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Former Packers RB Eddie Lacy arrested, charged with 'extreme DUI'
- How to watch 'The Daily Show' live episode after Tuesday's VP debate
- Here’s How the Libra New Moon—Which Is Also a Solar Eclipse—Will Affect Your Zodiac Sign
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Kylie Jenner Makes Paris Fashion Week Modeling Debut in Rare Return to Runway
- Lionel Messi to rejoin Argentina for two matches in October. Here's what you need to know
- U.S. port strike may factor into Fed's rate cut decisions
Recommendation
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Dockworkers join other unions in trying to fend off automation, or minimize the impact
Hospitals mostly rebound after Helene knocked out power and flooded areas
Hospitals mostly rebound after Helene knocked out power and flooded areas
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Sabrina Carpenter Shares Her Family's Reaction to Her NSFW Performances
Nobody Wants This Creator Erin Foster Addresses Possibility of Season 2
Lauryn Hill Sued for Fraud and Breach of Contract by Fugees Bandmate Pras Michel