Current:Home > MarketsHouthis show no sign of ending ‘reckless’ Red Sea attacks as trade traffic picks up, commander says -Ascend Wealth Education
Houthis show no sign of ending ‘reckless’ Red Sea attacks as trade traffic picks up, commander says
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 21:20:51
CHRISTIANSTED, U.S. Virgin Islands (AP) — Yemen’s Houthi rebels show no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea, the top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East said Saturday, even as more nations join the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and trade traffic begins to pick up.
Since Operation Prosperity Guardian was announced just over 10 days ago, 1,200 merchant ships have traveled through the Red Sea region, and none has been hit by drone or missile strikes, Vice Adm. Brad Cooper said in an Associated Press interview. He said additional countries are expected to sign on. Denmark was the latest, announcing Friday it plans to send a frigate to the mission that Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin announced during a visit to Bahrain, where the Navy’s 5th Fleet is based, saying that “this is an international challenge that demands collective action.”
The Iran-backed Houthis say their attacks are aimed at Israel-linked ships in an effort to stop the Israeli offensive in Gaza.
The narrow Bab el-Mandeb Strait connects the Gulf of Aden to the Red Sea and then the Suez Canal. The crucial trade route links markets in Asia and Europe. The seriousness of the attacks, several of which have damaged vessels, led multiple shipping companies to order their vessels to hold in place and not enter the strait until the security situation improved. Some major shippers were sending their ships around Africa and the Cape of Good Hope, adding time and costs to the journeys.
Currently there are five warships from the United States, France, and the United Kingdom patrolling the waters of the southern Red Sea and the western Gulf of Aden, said Cooper, who heads the 5th Fleet. Since the operation started, the ships have shot down a total of 17 drones and four anti-ship ballistic missiles, he said.
Just two days ago, the USS Mason, a Navy destroyer, down a drone and anti-ship ballistic missile that were fired by the Houthis, according to U.S. Central Command. The U.S. said the 22nd attack on international shipping by the Houthis since Oct. 19 caused no damage to any of the 18 ships in the area or any reported injuries.
“I expect in the coming weeks we’re going to get additional countries,” Cooper said, noting Denmark’s recent announcement.
The U.S. has said that more than 20 nations are participating, but a number of those nations have not acknowledged it publicly.
Cooper said the coalition is in direct communication with commercial ships to provide guidance on “maneuvering and the best practices to avoid being attacked,” and working closely with the shipping industry to coordinate security.
In this image provided by the U.S. Navy, the amphibious dock landing ship USS Carter Hall and amphibious assault ship USS Bataan transit the Bab al-Mandeb strait on Aug. 9, 2023. The top commander of U.S. naval forces in the Middle East says Yemen’s Houthi rebels are showing no signs of ending their “reckless” attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea. But Vice Adm. Brad Cooper said in an Associated Press interview on Saturday that more nations are joining the international maritime mission to protect vessels in the vital waterway and trade traffic is beginning to pick up. (Mass Communications Spc. 2nd Class Moises Sandoval/U.S. Navy via AP)
An international task force had been set up in April 2022 to improve maritime security in the region. But Cooper said Operation Prosperity Guardian has more ships and a persistent presence to assist vessels.
Since the operation started, the Houthis have stepped up their use of anti-ship ballistic missiles, Cooper said. “We are cleareyed that the Houthi reckless attacks will likely continue,” he said.
The Houthis seized Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, in 2014, launching a grinding war against a Saudi-led coalition that sought to restore the government. The militants have sporadically targeted ships in the region, but the attacks increased since the start of the Israel-Hamas war.
The Houthi threatened to attack any vessel they believe is either going to or coming from Israel. That has escalated to apparently any vessel, with container ships and oil tankers flagged to countries such as Norway and Liberia being attacked or drawing missile fire.
File - The USS Mason, an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, passes a dock in Norfolk, Va., April 8, 2021. Officials said the USS Mason shot down a suspected Houthi drone flying in its direction during an incident in which two missiles fired from territory held by Yemen’s Houthi rebels missed a commercial tanker loaded with jet fuel near the key Bab el-Mandeb Strait on Wednesday. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)
The shipping company Maersk had announced earlier that it had decided to re-route its ships that have been paused for days outside the strait and Red Sea, and send them around Africa instead. Maersk announced Dec. 25 that it was going to resume sending ships through the strait, citing the operation. Cooper said another shipping company had also resumed using the route.
“Commerce is definitely flowing,” Cooper said.
___
Associated Press writer Lolita C. Baldor in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (273)
Related
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Amazon shoppers in 2024 will be able to buy a Hyundai directly from the retailer's site
- Empty vehicle on tracks derails Chicago-bound Amtrak train in Michigan
- Shohei Ohtani, Ronald Acuña Jr. win MLB MVP awards for historic 2023 campaigns
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Four of 7 officers returned to regular duty after leak of Nashville school shooting records
- Leonardo DiCaprio Shares How He Thanked Sharon Stone for Paying His Salary
- Sean 'Diddy' Combs and singer Cassie settle lawsuit alleging abuse
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- US military says national security depends on ‘forever chemicals’
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Meghan Markle Reveals Holiday Traditions With Her and Prince Harry’s Kids in Rare Interview
- Top UN court orders Azerbaijan to ensure the safety of Nagorno-Karabakh people
- The story behind Omaha's rainbow house could make you watch what you say to your neighbors
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- 'Wish' movie review: Ariana DeBose is a powerhouse in a musical that owns its Disney-ness
- It feels like I'm not crazy. Gardeners aren't surprised as USDA updates key map.
- Remains found in remote Arizona desert in 1992 identified as missing teen girl, police say
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Pets will not be allowed in new apartments for Alaska lawmakers and staff
Four of 7 officers returned to regular duty after leak of Nashville school shooting records
Top UN court orders Azerbaijan to ensure the safety of Nagorno-Karabakh people
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
$360 million Mega Millions jackpot winners revealed as group from South Dakota
'I got you!' Former inmate pulls wounded Houston officer to safety after shootout
US wildlife managers have no immediate plans to capture wandering Mexican gray wolf