Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Latest federal court order favors right to carry guns in some New Mexico public parks -Ascend Wealth Education
SafeX Pro:Latest federal court order favors right to carry guns in some New Mexico public parks
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 01:12:16
SANTA FE,SafeX Pro N.M. (AP) — A U.S. District Court judge is standing by her decision to block portions of a public health order from New Mexico’s governor that would suspend the right to carry firearms in many public parks in the Albuquerque area, with appeals pending before a higher court.
The Monday order from Albuquerque-based Judge Kea Riggs denied a request from the governor to leave in place a temporary ban on firearms in some public places in greater Albuquerque, including most public parks.
Riggs earlier concluded that Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has not yet demonstrated a historical tradition of banning firearms in public parks or similar areas in the past, in response to a lawsuit by Torrance County resident James Springer — a plaintiff in one of several lawsuits filed against the governor by gun rights advocates.
“Our position is that’s not something that is contemplated under the Second Amendment,” said Springer’s attorney, A. Blair Dunn, applauding the judge’s order.
Last year, U.S. District Judge David Urias ruled in the other direction in a victory for the governor, rejecting a request from other gun rights advocates to block temporary firearms restrictions while challenges move forward. It will likely fall to the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver to reconcile the orders from Urias and Riggs.
Lujan Grisham spokesperson Maddy Hayden said Tuesday that the governor “respectfully” disagrees with Riggs.
“Judge Riggs’ opinion ignores this caselaw and the massive amount of historical evidence in the record supporting the constitutionality of the temporary restrictions imposed by the public health order,” Hayden said in an email. “We respectfully disagree with the opinion and are confident that our ongoing appeal to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals will be successful.”
Lujan Grisham, a second-term Democrat, invoked the emergency orders last year in response to a spate of gun violence including the fatal shooting of an 11-year-old boy outside a minor league baseball stadium.
Gun rights advocates also are urging the New Mexico Supreme Court to block the orders. The court recently heard oral arguments in the lawsuit brought by Republican state legislators, the National Rifle Association and several residents of the Albuquerque area.
The rest of the public health orders have remained intact, including directives for monthly inspections of firearm dealers statewide, reports on gunshot victims at New Mexico hospitals, wastewater testing for illicit substances at schools and more.
During a 30-day legislative session that concludes Feb. 15, Lujan Grisham also is advocating for a broad suite of legislative proposals on gun control and enhanced penalties for violent crime.
On Tuesday, a proposal to shore up New Mexico’s red-flag gun law advanced past its first House committee hearing on a 4-2 party-line vote with Democrats in support of the bill from legislators including state Rep. Christine Chandler, of Los Alamos. Votes against the bill were cast by two Republican lawmakers who are pursuing impeachment proceedings against the governor for her emergency health orders on gun violence.
New Mexico’s red-flag law, aimed at removing firearms from people who pose a danger to themselves or others, was enacted in 2020 in response to a mass shooting by a lone gunman at a Walmart store in El Paso, Texas, the prior year that killed 23 people. Proposed changes would expedite procedures for obtaining an “extreme risk” order to seize firearms and expand the range of people who can petition to temporarily remove guns to include health care professionals.
___
This version corrects the spelling of the first name of Judge Kea Riggs and the number of people killed in El Paso to 23, not 24.
veryGood! (8881)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Credit Suisse chair apologizes to shareholders for bank's failure
- This Affordable Amazon Swimsuit Is on Sale for Under $35 & Has Over 32,000 5-Star Reviews
- Amsterdam warns British tourists planning messy trips to get trashed to simply stay away
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Change.Org Workers Form A Union, Giving Labor Activists Another Win In Tech
- A New Way To Understand Automation
- Turkey earthquake miracle baby girl finally reunited with mom almost two months after the deadly quakes
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Lala Kent Reveals How Ariana Madix and Scheana Shay Are Doing in Aftermath of Tom Sandoval Drama
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Italian mayor tweets invitation to Florida principal who resigned after parents complained Michelangelo's David was taught in school
- Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest Travel Back to Jurassic Park Just in Time for the Oscars
- Turkey's parliament ratifies Finland NATO membership
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Transcript: Wall Street Journal editor Emma Tucker on Face the Nation, April 2, 2023
- 4 killings near beach in Cancun linked to drug gang leader dubbed The Panther as authorities offer $50,000 reward
- San Francisco drag legend Heklina reportedly found dead in London
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Canadian police say 6 people found dead in marsh near U.S. border in Quebec
Feel Like an It Girl With These 16 Lululemon Bags: Belt Bags, Crossbodies, Backpacks, and More
Oil prices soar after OPEC+ announces production cuts
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
Ukraine fumes as Russia assumes presidency of the United Nations Security Council
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $280 Crossbody Bag for Just $59
Christine Taylor Reveals What Led to Reconciliation With Ben Stiller After 2017 Breakup