Current:Home > StocksShark attack in Australia leaves woman with "extremely serious" head injuries -Ascend Wealth Education
Shark attack in Australia leaves woman with "extremely serious" head injuries
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:02:08
An Australian woman is in stable condition with "extremely serious" head injuries after being bitten by a shark on Friday, officials said.
The 32-year-old woman was rushed to the Flinders Medical Centre near Adelaide by emergency services just after 1:00 p.m. local time Friday. Police evacuated swimmers from the ocean at Port Noarlunga Jetty to search for the shark, South Australia police said in a news statement, but were not able to locate it.
A woman was taken to hospital after being bitten by a shark at @PortNoarlunga today https://t.co/uG5yejhdG5 pic.twitter.com/WoCdPSmQmO
— South Australia Police (@SAPoliceNews) November 10, 2023
There have been more than 1,100 individual investigations of shark bites in Australia since 1791, according to the Australian Shark Incident Database.
In 2022, Australia had the second-highest number of unprovoked shark bites – with the United States being first. Although they had 16% of the world's total shark bites, Australia did not record any deaths from the bites until February 2022, when a shark attack killed a man outside Sydney beach. It was the city's first fatal attack since 1963.
Earlier this month authorities searched for the remains of a 55-year-old surfer after he got bitten by a shark the length of a "sedan" off of Granites Beach in South Australia.
In August, a man in his 40s was rushed to a hospital after he got bitten by a shark on a beach outside of Sydney.
Jennifer Earl contributed reporting.
- In:
- Shark
- Shark Attack
- Australia
Cara Tabachnick is a news editor for CBSNews.com. Contact her at [email protected]
veryGood! (4544)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- 4 Wisconsin teenagers killed in early morning truck crash
- 14-time champion Rafael Nadal loses in the French Open’s first round to Alexander Zverev
- Powerball winning numbers for May 25 drawing: Jackpot now worth $131 million
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Harrison Butker says 'I do not regret at all' controversial commencement speech
- WNBA Rookie of the Year odds: Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese heavy favorites early on
- Mike Tyson 'doing great' after medical scare on flight
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- With 345,000 tickets sold, storms looming, Indy 500 blackout looks greedy, archaic
Ranking
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- 4 Wisconsin teenagers killed in early morning truck crash
- Massachusetts man arrested after stabbing attack in AMC theater, McDonald's injured 6 people
- What happens if Trump is convicted in New York? No one can really say
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Indianapolis 500 weather updates: Start of 2024 race delayed by thunderstorms
- Grayson Murray, two-time PGA tour winner, dies at 30
- Harrison Butker says 'I do not regret at all' controversial commencement speech
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
After a deadly heat wave last summer, metro Phoenix is changing tactics
'Insane where this kid has come from': Tarik Skubal's journey to become Detroit Tigers ace
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's 15-Year-Old Daughter Credited as Vivienne Jolie in Broadway Playbill
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
The dreams of a 60-year-old beauty contestant come to an abrupt end in Argentina
‘Furiosa’ sneaks past ‘Garfield’ to claim No. 1 spot over Memorial Day holiday weekend
Mavs rookie center Dereck Lively II leaves Game 3 of West finals after taking knee to head