Current:Home > FinanceVermont man sentenced to 25 years in prison for kidnapping woman and son outside of a mall -Ascend Wealth Education
Vermont man sentenced to 25 years in prison for kidnapping woman and son outside of a mall
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 04:22:09
BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A Vermont man has been sentenced to 25 years in prison after he was convicted of kidnapping a woman and her 4-year-old son by forcing them into her car outside a New Hampshire mall and bringing them to Vermont while he was searching for his estranged wife.
Everett Simpson, 46, was convicted by a jury in federal court last year on two counts of kidnapping and two counts of interstate car theft. He had acted as his own attorney during the trial and at his sentencing Monday. An email seeking comment from his stand-by public defender was sent Tuesday.
The sentencing “closes a dark period in two victims’ lives and hopefully allows their healing process to continue and provides a sense of security to them and others,” U.S. Attorney for Vermont Nikolas Kerest said in a statement.
Simpson admitted before the jury that he left a Vermont drug treatment center shortly after he was dropped off there on the night of Jan. 4, 2019, for court-ordered substance abuse treatment from another case.
He stole a van parked in a nearby driveway and drove it to Manchester, New Hampshire, where it was abandoned the next day. Simpson acknowledged driving back to White River Junction, Vermont, with the alleged victim and her son in her car. But he said the woman had agreed to do so and that she had opportunities to leave had she wanted.
“I am guilty of a lot of things, but not kidnapping,” Simpson said in court last year.
The woman and her child were taken to a Vermont motel. Simpson then took the victim’s car to Pennsylvania, where he was eventually arrested.
Court documents say the victim was sexually assaulted while in the motel, but the federal charges did not include sexual assault. Simpson is, however, facing separate state sexual assault charges.
Simpson said he fled the treatment center because he was trying to find his estranged wife, who he believed was having a relationship with another man.
In 2020, the woman received $400,000 in the settlement of a lawsuit accusing the state of Vermont of not doing enough to find Simpson after he left the treatment center. The woman also said she had received a sizable settlement from the treatment center, but the exact amount is unclear.
Victim impact statements were filed under seal in the federal case because they include personal information about, and statements from or about, victims of a violent crime, prosecutors said. Sentencing memorandums from both sides also were sealed.
veryGood! (38)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- More than 2 million without power as Hurricane Milton slams Florida, causes deaths and flooding
- Florida picking up the pieces after Milton: 6 dead, 3.4M in dark. Live updates
- Nicky Hilton Rothschild Shares Secret to Decade-Long Marriage With Husband James Rothschild
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- When will Aaron Jones return? Latest injury updates on Vikings RB
- Tesla is unveiling its long-awaited robotaxi amid doubts about the technology it runs on
- Taylor Swift makes multi-million dollar donation to Hurricane Milton, Helene relief
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Minnesota Twins announce plans for sale after 40 years in the Pohlad family
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Bacon hogs the spotlight in election debates, but reasons for its sizzling inflation are complex
- This Historic Ship Runs on Coal. Can It Find a New Way Forward?
- Photos show conditions deteriorating as Hurricane Milton hits Florida
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- TikTok sued by 13 states and DC, accused of harming younger users
- 'We will not be able to come': Hurricane Milton forces first responders to hunker down
- 13-year-old walked away from his mom at Arizona car wash. A month later, he's still missing.
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Tesla is unveiling its long-awaited robotaxi amid doubts about the technology it runs on
Here's the one thing 'Saturday Night' director Jason Reitman implored his actors not to do
The Best Deals You Can Still Shop After October Prime Day 2024
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Garth Brooks Says Rape Accuser Wanted to Blackmail Him for Millions Amid Allegations
Erik Menendez's Attorney Speaks Out on Ryan Murphy's Monsters Show
Who is TikTok sensation Lt. Dan? The tattooed sailor is safe: 'Wasn't too bad'