Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-UAW President Shawn Fain vows to expand autoworker strike with "little notice" -Ascend Wealth Education
SignalHub-UAW President Shawn Fain vows to expand autoworker strike with "little notice"
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-07 01:48:31
The United Auto Workers is no longer notifying the Big Three automakers before calling additional walkouts amid the labor group's ongoing strike, union President Shawn Fain said on Friday.
"We are prepared at any time to call on more locals to stand up and walk out," Fain said said in a webcast on the UAW's month-long strike against Ford, General Motors and Stellantis. "Going forward, we will be calling out plants when we need to, with little notice."
The union is ditching its habit of announcing new targets on Fridays, as the automakers had taken to waiting to make any substantial offers until the end of the work week, he said.
The new approach was on display earlier in the week as the UAW ramped up its walkout on Wednesday by shutting down Ford's largest factory in Louisville, Kentucky, where 8,700 members left their jobs, bringing to roughly 34,000 the numbers of workers on strike against the three car makers.
"For two weeks, Ford has been tell us there is more money to be had," only to deliver the same economic offer to UAW negotiators on Wednesday, prompting the decision to strike the Kentucky plant that day. "We didn't wait until Friday and we didn't wait a minute," said Fain.
The strike at the truck plant that builds the Super Duty pickup, Lincoln Navigator and Ford Expedition large SUVs took the automaker by surprise, a particular blow as the lineup represents the company's most lucrative products, generating $25 billion a year in revenue.
Ford said the company is unable to improve on its offer of a 23% pay increase without hurting its ability to invest in its business. The Ford plant in Kentucky generates $48,000 in revenue every 60 seconds, or "vastly more than the lowest paid Ford workers make in a year," said Fain.
Fain last week disclosed that Ford's proposal included the 23% hike, which is higher than the 20% offers from General Motors and Stellantis, Chrysler's parent.
The union is actively negotiating with GM and Stellantis, according to the union leader, who lashed out at Ford for its contention on Thursday that it had hit its ceiling on its offer. "I found a pathetic irony in that statement," Fain said, adding that it is workers who are fed up by not getting raises for a decade and relinquishing what he called retirement security.
The UAW began its strike against Ford, General Motors and Stellantis on September 15, with workers walking off the job at one assembly plant from each automaker. Roughly 34,000 workers are now striking six assembly plants and 38 parts-distribution centers. The walkout is the first in the UAW's nearly nine decades of existence that targets all three carmakers at once.
"The longer our strike goes on, the more the public turns against corporate greed at the Big Three," said Fain, who cited a recent poll from the Associated Press showing that only 9% of Americans support the automakers.
The UAW last week reported progress in the bargaining and opted against expanding the strike additional plants. That came after GM agreed to bring joint-venture electric vehicle battery factories into the national master contract, virtually ensuring that the plants would be unionized. The issue is key to the union as it looks to protect workers displaced as the industry transitions to electric vehicles.
—The Associated Press contributed to this report.
veryGood! (4824)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Driver accused in Treat Williams' death considered actor 'a friend,' denies wrongdoing
- Israel kills 3 suspected Palestinian militants as West Bank violence shows no signs of slowing
- Police kill a burglary suspect in Lancaster after officers say he pointed a gun at them
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- NASCAR Cup race at Michigan disrupted by rain, will resume Monday
- Rahul Gandhi, Indian opposition leader, reinstated as lawmaker days after top court’s order
- Bryson DeChambeau claims first LIV tournament victory after record final round
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Roger Goodell's hug of Deshaun Watson was an embarrassment for the NFL
Ranking
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Moving to a college dorm? Here's how you can choose a reliable mover and avoid scams
- Several people detained after fight breaks out at Montgomery’s Riverfront Park in Alabama
- Justice Department requests protective order in Trump election interference case to limit his public comments
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Justin Thomas misses spot in FedEx Cup playoffs after amazing shot at Wyndham Championship
- Justice Department requests protective order in Trump election interference case to limit his public comments
- Ryan Gosling Surprises Barbie Director Greta Gerwig With a Fantastic Birthday Gift
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
That's Billionaire 'Barbie' to you: The biggest movie of summer hits $1B at box office
Is 2023 the summer of strikes for US workers? Here’s what the data says.
2 killed, 3 hurt when pleasure boat catches fire in bay south of Los Angeles
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Arsenal beats Man City in penalty shootout to win Community Shield after stoppage-time equalizer
People are losing more money to scammers than ever before. Here’s how to keep yourself safe
Democrats see Michigan and Minnesota as guides for what to do with majority power