Current:Home > FinancePrince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security -Ascend Wealth Education
Prince Harry loses legal case against U.K. government over downgraded security
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:34:41
Prince Harry was not improperly stripped of his publicly funded security detail during visits to Britain after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the U.S., a London judge ruled Wednesday. Justice Peter Lane said in the High Court that the decision to provide security to Harry on a case-by-case basis was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.
The Duke of Sussex claimed he and his family were endangered when visiting the U.K. because of hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless hounding by news media. His lawyer argued that the government group that evaluated Harry's security needs acted irrationally and failed to follow its own policies that should have required a risk analysis of the duke's safety.
A government lawyer said Harry had been treated fairly and was still provided protection on some visits, citing a security detail that guarded him in June 2021 when he was chased by photographers after attending an event with seriously ill children at Kew Gardens in west London.
The committee that made the decision to reject his security request considered the wider impact that the "tragic death" of his mother, the late Princess Diana, had on the nation, and in making its decision gave greater weight to the "likely significant public upset were a successful attack" on her son to happen, attorney James Eadie said.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has broken ranks with royal family tradition in his willingness to go to court to challenge both the government and take on tabloids in his effort to hold publishers accountable for hounding him throughout his life.
The lawsuit was one of six cases Harry has brought in the High Court. Three were related to his security arrangements and three have been against tabloid publishers for allegedly hacking phones and using private investigators to snoop on his life for news stories.
- A look at Prince Harry's legal battles against U.K. media
In his first case to go to trial, Harry won a big victory last year against the publisher of the Daily Mirror over phone hacking allegations, winning a judgment in court and ultimately settling remaining allegations that were due to go to trial. While the settlement was undisclosed, he was to be reimbursed for all his legal fees and was due to receive an interim payment of 400,000 pounds ($505,000).
He recently withdrew a libel case against the Daily Mail over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. Harry dropped the case after a judge ruled he was more likely to lose at trial because the publisher could show that statements issued on his behalf were misleading and that the February 2022 article reflected an "honest opinion" and wasn't libelous.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge last year that he should be able to privately pay for London's police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn't be used as "private bodyguards for the wealthy."
- In:
- British Royal Family
- Prince Harry Duke of Sussex
- Meghan Duchess of Sussex
veryGood! (97)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Jake Paul dives into future plans on eve of his next fight, dismisses risk of losing focus
- High-income earners who skipped out on filing tax returns believed to owe hundreds of millions of dollars to IRS
- Congratulations, today is your day: A free book giveaway to honor Dr. Seuss’ birthday
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Don Henley says he never gifted lyrics to Hotel California and other Eagles songs
- South Korea launches legal action to force striking doctors back to work
- Hacking at UnitedHealth unit cripples a swath of the U.S. health system: What to know
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- There's a new 'Climate Reality Check' test — these 3 Oscar-nominated features passed
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- A look at the tough-on-crime bills Louisiana lawmakers passed during a special session
- Maryland State House locked down, armed officers seen responding
- Parts of the Sierra Nevada likely to get 10 feet of snow from powerful storm by weekend
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Third person dies from Milwaukee shooting that injured 4
- With salacious testimony finished, legal arguments to begin over Fani Willis’ future in Trump case
- Here's how much money you need to make to afford a home
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Democratic lawmakers ask Justice Department to probe Tennessee’s voting rights restoration changes
Alexey Navalny's team announces Moscow funeral arrangements, tells supporters to come early
Maui County officials select final disposal site for debris from Lahaina wildfire
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Top 3 tight ends at NFL scouting combine bring defensive mentality to draft
LGBTQ+ advocacy group sues Texas AG, says it won’t identify transgender families
Avalanche kills American man in backcountry of Japanese mountains, police say