Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election -Ascend Wealth Education
Charles H. Sloan-Gabon military officers say they’re seizing power just days after the presidential election
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 20:48:44
DAKAR,Charles H. Sloan Senegal (AP) — Mutinous soldiers in Gabon said Wednesday they were overturning the results of a presidential election that was to extend the Bongo family’s 55-year hold on power.
The central African country’s election committee announced that President Ali Bongo Ondimba, 64, had won the election with 64% of the vote early Wednesday morning. Within minutes, gunfire was heard in the center of the capital, Libreville.
A dozen uniformed soldiers appeared on state television later the same morning and announced that they had seized power.
“We reaffirm our commitment to respecting Gabon’s commitments to the national and international community,” said a spokesperson for the group, whose members were drawn from the gendarme, the republican guard and other factions of the security forces.
Bongo was seeking a third term in elections this weekend. He served two terms since coming to power in 2009 after the death of his father, Omar Bongo, who ruled the country for 41 years. Another group of mutinous soldiers attempted a coup in January 2019, while Bongo was in Morocco recovering from a stroke, but they were quickly overpowered.
In the election, Bongo faced an opposition coalition led by economics professor and former education minister Albert Ondo Ossa, whose surprise nomination came a week before the vote.
There were concerns about post-election violence, due to deep-seated grievances among the population of some 2.5 million. Nearly 40% of Gabonese ages 15-24 were out of work in 2020, according to the World Bank.
After last week’s vote, the Central African nation’s Communications Minister, Rodrigue Mboumba Bissawou, said on state television that there would be a nightly curfew from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. He said internet access was being restricted indefinitely as there had been calls for violence and efforts to spread disinformation.
Every vote held in Gabon since the country’s return to a multi-party system in 1990 has ended in violence. Clashes between government forces and protesters following the 2016 election killed four people, according to official figures. The opposition said the death toll was far higher.
Fearing violence, many people in the capital went to visit family in other parts of the country before the election or left Gabon altogether. Others stockpiled food or bolstered security in their homes.
___
Associated Press reporters Cara Anna in Nairobi Kenya and Jamey Keaton in Geneva Switzerland contributed.
veryGood! (939)
Related
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Relive Kylie Jenner’s Most Iconic Fashion Moments With Bratz Dolls Inspired by the Star
- Carlos De Oliveira makes initial appearance in Mar-a-Lago documents case
- Angus Cloud's Dad Died One Week Before the Euphoria Actor
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Congress tries to break fever of incivility amid string of vulgar, toxic exchanges
- New Jersey Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver still hospitalized, Scutari is acting governor
- Biden keeps Space Command headquarters in Colorado, reversing Trump move to Alabama
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- In her next book ‘Prequel,’ Rachel Maddow will explore a WWII-era plot to overthrow US government
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Inside Margot Robbie and Tom Ackerley's Dreamy Love Story
- 'Open the pod bay door, HAL' — here's how AI became a movie villain
- Ford, Chrysler among 1 million-plus vehicles recalled recently. Check car recalls here.
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Long Island and Atlantic City sex worker killings are unrelated, officials say
- Report says 3 died of blunt force injuries, asphyxiation in Iowa building collapse
- Trader Joe's issues third recall, saying falafel might contain rocks
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Driver who hit 6 migrant workers outside North Carolina Walmart turns himself in to police
Flashing X sign dismantled at former Twitter's San Francisco headquarters
Cops shoot, arrest alleged gunman who fired outside Hebrew school
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
Invasive fruit fly infestation puts Los Angeles neighborhood under quarantine
Chris Pratt Shares Rare Photos of Son Jack During Home Run Dodgers Visit
Niger will face sanctions as democracy falls apart, adding to woes for more than 25 million people