Current:Home > StocksColombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group -Ascend Wealth Education
Colombia signs three-month cease-fire with FARC holdout group
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:49:55
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government and the rebel group know as FARC-EMC on Monday signed a three-month cease-fire and formally began peace talks, as President Gustavo Petro tries to bolster his plans to pacify rural areas ahead of regional elections that will take place at the end of October.
In an event that took place in the township of Tibu, near Colombia’s border with Venezuela, both sides also agreed to cease attacks on civilians and set up a group that will monitor the cease-fire and could include United Nations personnel.
“Peace today seems to have been eclipsed when sirens, bombs, shouts of pain and desperation can be heard in places like the Middle East, Europe or sub-Saharan Africa” said Camilo González, the government’s lead negotiator. “These peace talks (in Colombia) are a bet on life and freedom.”
FARC-EMC are currently Colombia’s third largest armed group, with around 3,500 members. The group is led by left-wing guerrilla fighters who refused to join a 2016 peace deal between Colombia’s government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia in which more than 12,000 rebels laid down their guns.
The talks with the FARC-EMC are part of President Petro’s total peace strategy, which includes negotiating with various armed groups.
Colombia’s government in June signed a 6-month cease-fire with the National Liberation Army, the country’s largest remaining guerrilla group. But talks with the Gulf Clan, the nation’s second largest armed group, broke down earlier this year as the military cracked down on illegal mining in a region controlled by that organization.
FARC-EMC said in September that they will not interfere in municipal and provincial elections that will be held on October 29. Their leaders argued that they wanted to give the government a gesture of good will, as both sides tried to broker a cease-fire.
Last year, on December 31, President Petro ordered his troops to stop attacks on the FARC-EMC. But that cease-fire broke down in May after the rebels killed three teenagers from an Indigenous community who had been forcibly recruited and were trying to escape from one of the group’s camps.
Jorge Restrepo, a Colombian security analyst, said that the current cease-fire could take some time to implement, because FARC-EMC operates as a coalition of different rebel units, each with its own interests.
“There are disputes between the different groups that make up the EMC,” Restrepo said. “So that could limit the effect of the cease-fire on rural communities.”
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- James B. Sikking, 'Hill Street Blues' and 'Doogie Howser, M.D.' actor, dies at 90
- A Mississippi judge removes 1 of Brett Favre’s lawyers in a civil case over misspent welfare money
- 2024 Home Run Derby: Time, how to watch, participants and more
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Trump rally shooting victims: What we know about former fire chief Corey Comperatore, two others injured
- 4 people fatally shot outside a Mississippi home
- Signs of trouble at Trump rally were evident in minutes before gunman opened fire
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Botched's Dr. Paul Nassif and Pregnant Wife Brittany Reveal Sex of Baby No. 2
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Trump's family reacts to assassination attempt: 'I love you Dad'
- Nate Diaz suing co-promoter of Jorge Masvidal fight for $9 million
- Shrek movies in order: Catch up on all the films in time for 'Shrek 5'
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Rebecca Gayheart Shares Sweet Update on Her and Eric Dane’s Daughters
- Greg Sankey keeps door cracked to SEC expansion with future of ACC uncertain
- Lightning-caused wildfire in an Arizona forest still uncontained, leads to some evacuation orders
Recommendation
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
A Mississippi judge removes 1 of Brett Favre’s lawyers in a civil case over misspent welfare money
2024 MLB draft tracker day 2: Every pick from rounds 3-10
Morgan Wallen announces homecoming Knoxville concert. Here's how to get tickets
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Millions remain under heat alerts as 'dangerous' weather scorches Midwest, East Coast
Active shooter incidents in US slightly down in 2023 but deaths up, FBI report shows
Maps show location of Trump, gunman, law enforcement snipers at Pennsylvania rally shooting