Current:Home > FinanceEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Kevin Spacey to go to trial in UK for alleged sexual assault -Ascend Wealth Education
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|Kevin Spacey to go to trial in UK for alleged sexual assault
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:54:44
LONDON - Oscar-winning U.S. actor Kevin Spacey on EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank CenterTuesday overturned a London court ruling which effectively found him liable for an alleged sexual assault on a British man, after his lawyers mistakenly failed to serve a defense to a civil lawsuit.
Spacey is being sued at London's High Court by a man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, who alleges that in 2008 he was sexually assaulted by the Hollywood star. The actor has denied the allegations.
In 2022, the 64-year-old was charged in Britain with nine sexual offences against four men between 2004 and 2013 but was acquitted of all charges after a high-profile trial last year.
One of those four complainants separately sued Spacey in a civil lawsuit at London's High Court in 2022.
Earlier this year, a judge granted the man "judgment in default" – a ruling in his favor without a trial – after Spacey's lawyers failed to serve a defense to the lawsuit in time.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Adam Speker, a lawyer representing Spacey, said it was a "genuine error" by the actor's legal team from the prominent British law firm Carter-Ruck.
Speker argued it would be unfair for the claimant to effectively win his lawsuit against Spacey without a trial when he had been "disbelieved on oath by a jury".
Judge Jeremy Cook ruled in Spacey's favor and overturned the judgment in default against the actor.
"The defendant's solicitors have made an error," Cook said. "In my view, that error should not be visited upon the defendant."
Tuesday's ruling means that the claimant's case against Spacey will proceed towards a full trial.
Kevin Spacey acquittedof all sexual assault charges: The actor's UK trial explained
The ruling comes a day after Britain's Channel 4 broadcast a documentary featuring testimony from several men who made allegations of inappropriate behavior by Spacey.
Spacey gave an interview to British broadcaster Dan Wootton ahead of the broadcast in which he denied any illegal activity and said he would not allow himself to be "baselessly attacked without defending himself".
"I take full responsibility for my past behavior and my actions, but I cannot and will not take responsibility or apologize to anyone who’s made up stuff about me or exaggerated stories about me," he said.
veryGood! (51843)
Related
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Life as MT's editor-in-chief certainly had its moments—including one death threat
- 20 Best Products That Help Tackle Boob Sweat and Other Annoying Summer Problems
- Texas’ overcrowded and understaffed jails send people awaiting trial to other counties and states
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- An ex-Kansas police chief who led a raid on a newspaper is charged with obstruction of justice
- Life as MT's editor-in-chief certainly had its moments—including one death threat
- Left in Debby's wake: Storm floods homes, historic battlefield
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- RHONY's Pigeon-Themed Season 15 Trailer Will Have Bravo Fans Squawking
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- 17 RushTok-Approved Essentials to Help You Survive Rush Week 2024, Starting at Just $2
- Prosecutors won’t charge officers who killed armed student outside Wisconsin school
- Rachael Lillis, 'Pokemon' voice actor for Misty and Jessie, dies at 46
- Trump's 'stop
- Remembering comedic genius Robin Williams with son Zak | The Excerpt
- Former Cornell student gets 21 months in prison for posting violent threats to Jewish students
- 20 Best Products That Help Tackle Boob Sweat and Other Annoying Summer Problems
Recommendation
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Haason Reddick has requested a trade from the Jets after being a camp holdout, AP source says
Hoda Kotb tearfully reflects on motherhood during 60th birthday bash on 'Today' show
Paige DeSorbo Shares Surprising Update on Filming Summer House With Pregnant Lindsay Hubbard & Carl Radke
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Kourtney Kardashian, Blake Lively, and Kate Hudson's Favorite BaubleBar Halloween Earrings Are Back!
Country Singer Parker McCollum Welcomes First Baby With Wife Hallie Ray Light
NFL preseason winners, losers: Caleb Williams, rookie QBs sizzle in debuts