Current:Home > MyFastexy Exchange|Prosecutors say New York subway shooting may have been self defense -Ascend Wealth Education
Fastexy Exchange|Prosecutors say New York subway shooting may have been self defense
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:48:55
NEW YORK (AP) — A man who shot and Fastexy Exchangecritically wounded another passenger on a New York City subway train may have acted in self-defense and will not immediately be charged with any crime, prosecutors said Friday.
“Yesterday’s shooting inside a crowded subway car was shocking and deeply upsetting. The investigation into this tragic incident is ongoing but, at this stage, evidence of self-defense precludes us from filing any criminal charges against the shooter,” said Oren Yaniv, a spokesperson for Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez.
The shooting during Thursday’s rush hour came a week after Gov. Kathy Hochul sent the National Guard into the subway system to help police search people for weapons, citing a need to make people feel safer after a series of headline-making crimes in recent months.
Video taken by a bystander and posted on social media showed a confrontation that began with one passenger berating another and repeatedly threatening to beat him up. The two men squared off and fought before they were separated by another rider.
Then, the belligerent rider who had started the confrontation pulled a gun from his jacket and cocked it. Passengers fled and cowered at the far end of the car, some screaming, “Stop! Stop!” The shooting isn’t seen, but gunshots can be heard as passengers flee from the train as it arrives at a station.
Police said that the 36-year-old man who had pulled the gun lost control of it during the altercation. The other man, 32, got possession and shot him.
The man who was shot was hospitalized in critical condition. Police have not identified either man.
Michael Kemper, the Police Department’s chief of transit, said at a briefing late Thursday that witnesses had reported that the man who was shot was being “aggressive and provocative.”
New York City Mayor Eric Adams, a former transit police officer, said he believes the man who was shot was suffering from “mental health illness.”
“When you look at that video, you’ll see the nexus between someone who appears, from what I saw, to be dealing with severe mental health illness, sparking a dispute on our subway system,” Adams said on radio station 77 WABC.
Adams urged state lawmakers to give New York City more authority to remove mentally ill people from the streets and the subway system involuntarily.
NYPD Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said at a briefing Friday that the man who was shot had entered through an open emergency door without paying the $2.90 subway fare and suggested that the shooting highlights the need to crack down on fare evasion.
“It is important that the NYPD enforces quality of life,” Maddrey said. “It’s important that we enforce that service and people who are not paying the fare, oftentimes we see people enter the subway station looking to cause harm and they never pay the fare.”
Violence in the New York City subway system is rare, but serious incidents such as a passenger’s slashing of a subway conductor in the neck last month, and a shooting on a Bronx subway platform, have attracted attention.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Internet providers roll out broadband nutrition labels for consumers
- Beyoncé Shares Rare Look at Her Natural Hair With Wash Day Routine
- WWE partnering with UFC, will move NXT Battleground 2024 to UFC APEX facility
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- Buffalo Sabres hire Lindy Ruff again: What to know about their new/old coach
- Bill allowing parents to be fined for child’s criminal offenses heads to Tennessee governor
- Taylor Swift Reveals the Real Meaning Behind The Tortured Poets Department Songs
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Islanders give up two goals in nine seconds, blow 3-0 lead in loss to Hurricanes
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Supreme Court denies request by Arizona candidates seeking to ban electronic vote tabulators
- Oklahoma police say 5 found dead in home, including 2 children
- NASA shares new data on Death Valley's rare 'Lake Manly' showing just how deep it got
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Trump’s $175 million bond in New York civil fraud judgment case is settled with cash promise
- Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis' 10-Year-Old Son Otis Is All Grown Up in Rare Photo
- Lawsuit alleges negligence in hiring of maintenance man accused of torturing resident
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
New federal rule bars transgender school bathroom bans, but it likely isn’t the final word
Hotter temperatures mean higher utility costs for millions of Americans
Cocaine, carjacking, murder: Probe into Florida woman's brazen kidnapping expands
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Once estimated to cost $1.7 million, San Francisco's long-mocked toilet is up and running
Foundation to convene 3rd annual summit on anti-Asian hate, building AAPI coalitions
Cleveland to pay $4.8M to family of teen killed by stolen car during police chase