Current:Home > MarketsWill Sage Astor-Sudan ceasefire fails as death toll in battle between rival generals for control over the country nears 300 -Ascend Wealth Education
Will Sage Astor-Sudan ceasefire fails as death toll in battle between rival generals for control over the country nears 300
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 05:46:49
The Will Sage Astorvicious battle between two Sudanese military commanders for control over the country continued for a fifth day Wednesday, with the fighting raging on despite a planned 24-hour ceasefire. The clash between the generals in charge of the country's armed forces and a massive paramilitary force had claimed at least 270 lives by Wednesday, according to the U.N.'s World Health Organization, and a medical group in Sudan said the majority were civilians.
The Sudan Doctors' Syndicate, a domestic organization which monitors casualties, said Tuesday that at least 174 civilians had been killed and hundreds more wounded, but the real toll from the fighting is likely to be considerably higher as bodies still lay on the streets in major cities where intense fighting continued.
The 24-hour humanitarian truce agreed to by both sides of the conflict never really took hold. Heavy gunfire peppered the capital city of Khartoum almost immediately after it was supposed to have gone into effect Tuesday evening.
Over the last five days the city that's home to more than six million people has been turned into a battlefield in the power struggle between the rival generals. Their bitter personal dispute has exploded into all-out war.
Half of Khartoum's hospitals were out of action Wednesday as the number of killed and wounded climbed precipitously higher.
Caught in the middle are millions of civilians, including Dallia Mohammed, who said she and other residents in the capital had spent the last few days "just staying indoors to keep our sanity intact" as the sounds of war echoed outside.
The U.S. has urged Americans in Khartoum to shelter in place, and Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Tuesday that a clearly marked U.S. diplomatic convoy had been fired on earlier in the week amid the chaos.
Nobody was harmed in the incident and it wasn't clear which side was responsible, but in calls with both Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who heads the Sudanese Armed Forces, and the leader of the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, Blinken called the action reckless and irresponsible.
"I made it very clear that any attacks, threat, dangers posed to our diplomats were totally unacceptable," he said later.
The State Department has established a Sudan Military Conflict Task Force to oversee management and logistics related to events in Sudan, and it has said that contingency planning for U.S. personnel in the east African nation is underway.
Germany's government, meanwhile, canceled a plan to evacuate about 150 German nationals from Sudan due to the ongoing fighting, a source with knowledge of the planning told CBS News.
- In:
- War
- Africa
- Sudan
veryGood! (34)
Related
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Canada expels Indian diplomat as it probes possible link to Sikh’s slaying. India rejects allegation
- Political divide emerges on Ukraine aid package as Zelenskyy heads to Washington
- North Korea says Kim Jong Un is back home from Russia, where he deepened ‘comradely’ ties with Putin
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Can't find the right Clorox product? A recent cyberattack is causing some shortages
- Blinken meets Chinese VP as US-China contacts increase ahead of possible summit
- Hunter Biden files lawsuit against IRS alleging privacy violations
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Generac recalls more than 60,000 portable generators over burn risk
Ranking
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Israel shuts down main crossing with Gaza after outbreak of border violence
- Hayden Panettiere Adds a Splash of Watermelon Vibes to Her Pink Hair
- New-look PSG starts its Champions League campaign against Dortmund. Its recruits have yet to gel
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- More Than 150 Protesters Arrested in New York City While Calling on the Federal Reserve to End Fossil Fuel Financing
- Lawsuit by Islamic rights group says US terror watchlist woes continue even after names are removed
- United Auto Workers strike could drive up new and used car prices, cause parts shortage
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Canada expels Indian diplomat as it probes possible link to Sikh’s slaying. India rejects allegation
UK inquiry: Migrants awaiting deportation are kept ‘in prison-like’ conditions at a detention center
Kim Kardashian Proves North West’s New Painting Is a Stroke of Genius
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Tampa Bay Rays set to announce new stadium in St. Petersburg, which will open in 2028 season
Hunter Biden files lawsuit against IRS alleging privacy violations
Ex-Indiana substitute teacher gets 10 months in prison for sending hoax bomb threats to schools, newspaper