Current:Home > StocksBelgium requires a controversial class program. Now schools are burning and the country is worried -Ascend Wealth Education
Belgium requires a controversial class program. Now schools are burning and the country is worried
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:01:36
BRUSSELS (AP) — A series of school arsons in Belgium believed to be connected to a controversial school program in some parts of the country is prompting authorities to strengthen their police response.
Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden on Friday called for a halt to the attacks in the French-speaking Wallonia region hours after another school was set on fire, the sixth in the Charleroi area since the start of the week.
“We don’t touch our schools,” the minister wrote on the X social network, formerly known as Twitter. “Arson attacks in Brussels and Wallonia must stop. I have therefore asked the federal police to provide support to local areas to avoid any escalation.”
Signs protesting the so-called Evras project were discovered on some of the schools.
The Evras program is described as a tool designed to help children and teenagers develop their relational and sexual lives. This school year, some 100,000 pupils in the Wallonia-Brussels federation ages 11-12 and 15-16 will have to attend two sessions, for a total of four hours of training.
The program had been around and available all age groups for years but was not compulsory before this school year.
In addition to the arsons, protests gathering a few hundred people have also been organized in Brussels. Several Islamic groups have also condemned the program in a joint statement over fears it will favor the “hypersexualization” of children while rumors about the nature of Evras spread on the Internet.
“I would like to call on everyone to calm down and try once again to cut through the lies circulating about the Evras system,” the health minister in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation, Caroline Desir, said on Friday. “No, it does not prepare a pedophile system. No, it doesn’t plan to make children want to change gender. No, it doesn’t plan to teach children how to engage in sexual activities.”
Local media quoting the Charleroi prosecutor’s office said the investigation has not established a link between the six arsons so far.
Charleroi mayor Paul Magnette compared the arsons to a “form of terrorism.”
“These are arson attacks on schools, which are sacred places,” he told Sudinfo media. “They are places where children learn respect and tolerance.”
According to local media, two other schools in the city of Liege have also been vandalized.
veryGood! (2958)
Related
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Elton John is 'in good health' after being hospitalized for fall at home
- Watch: Lifelong Orioles fan Joan Jett calls scoring play, photobombs the team
- Horoscopes Today, August 27, 2023
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- US Supreme Court Justice Barrett says she welcomes public scrutiny of court
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra announces dates for their yearly winter tour with 104 shows
- House Republicans move closer to impeachment inquiry
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- NASA releases first U.S. pollution map images from new instrument launched to space: Game-changing data
Ranking
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- France’s education minister bans long robes in classrooms. They’re worn mainly by Muslims
- Parents of teen who died on school-sponsored hiking trip sue in federal court
- Metallic spheres found on Pacific floor are interstellar in origin, Harvard professor finds
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Medicaid expansion won’t begin in North Carolina on Oct. 1 because there’s still no final budget
- Guatemala’s electoral tribunal confirms Arévalo’s victory shortly after his party is suspended
- Police in Ohio fatally shot a pregnant shoplifting suspect
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Second man dies following weekend shooting in downtown Louisville
Kim calls for North Korean military to be constantly ready to smash US-led invasion plot
Hawaii power utility takes responsibility for first fire on Maui, but faults county firefighters
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Internet outage at University of Michigan campuses on first day of classes
Trump scheduled for arraignment in Fulton County on Sept. 6
Fiona Ferro, a tennis player who accused her ex-coach of sexual assault, returned to the US Open