Current:Home > reviewsJudge gives preliminary approval for NCAA settlement allowing revenue-sharing with athletes -Ascend Wealth Education
Judge gives preliminary approval for NCAA settlement allowing revenue-sharing with athletes
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:41:09
A federal judge on Monday granted preliminary approval to the slightly revised version of a multi-billion-dollar settlement of three athlete-compensation antitrust cases against the NCAA and the Power Five conferences.
The decision moves the NCAA and the conferences closer to funding a $2.8 billion damages pool for current and former athletes over a span of 10 years and sets the stage for a fundamental change in college sports — Division I schools being allowed to start paying athletes directly for use of their name, image and likeness, subject to a per-school cap that would increase over time.
However, the settlement process is not over, and potentially far from it.
The process of officially notifying current and former athletes of the terms and claims procedures is set to begin on Oct. 18. Those who would be covered by the agreement will have the opportunity to object or opt out by Jan. 31, 2025. And a final approval hearing has been scheduled for April 7, 2025.
However, additional legal appeals could occur. One former college football player and his attorney tied up a monetary settlement in a previous college-sports compensation case by pursuing the matter to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. That bid ultimately failed, but it ended up delaying final resolution by about two years.
And the path to this point in these cases has not been perfectly smooth.
Lawyers representing three separate groups of athletes filed oppositions to preliminary approval. Then, during a hearing on Sept. 5, U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken said she would not approve the original version of the proposed settlement — for set of reasons that differed from those expressed in the oppositions.
On Sept. 26, the lawyers who crafted the proposed settlement filed an adjusted version of the agreement. The updated version addressed Wilken’s concerns about how the original version defined the types of entities and individuals whose current NIL agreements with athletes would be subject to special scrutiny under a new regulatory structure that the NCAA and the conferences are insisting that they get in exchange for agreeing to the industry-changing deal.
But even that version of the agreement drew an objection last week from yet another, different group of athletes. That fourth group is represented by lawyers led by Michael Hausfeld, who also led representation of former UCLA men’s basketball player Ed O'Bannon in a landmark antitrust victory over the NCAA.
Wilken's order on Monday did not include any specific commentary concerning her reasons for granting preliminary approval other fairly standard general language saying that she will "likely be able to approve the Settlement as fair, reasonable and adequate … subject to further consideration" at the final approval hearing.
"A huge step forward for NCAA athletes," Steve Berman, a lead attorney for the plaintiffs said in an email to USA TODAY Sports.
NCAA President Charlie Baker said in statement: "We are thrilled by Judge Wilken’s decision to give preliminary approval to the landmark settlement that will help bring stability and sustainability to college athletics while delivering increased benefits to student-athletes for years to come. Today’s progress is a significant step in writing the next chapter for the future of college sports. We look forward to working with all of Division I, and especially student-athlete leadership groups to chart the path forward and drive historic change."
According to the settlement agreement, schools could begin paying their athletes in the first academic year after final approval and the resolution of any potential appeals. So, in theory, payments to athletes could begin during the 2025-26 school year. And Berman has said current and former athletes could begin receiving checks from the damages pool in fall 2025, if not sooner.
Lawyers for the plaintiffs have said nearly 400,000 athletes would be eligible for some type of payment for damages reaching as far back as 2016, with football and men’s basketball players set to receive the largest amounts. But the plaintiffs’ lawyers said there is an instance of an athlete in sport other than football, men’s basketball or women’s basketball who is estimated to be eligible for a claim of more than $1.85 million.
All of that would be part of a comprehensive reshaping of college sports that would occur under the settlement.
Among other changes:
▶NCAA leaders would seek to engineer rules changes eliminating longstanding, sport-by-sport scholarship limits and replacing them with a new set of roster-size limits. In the first academic year after final approval of the settlement the roster limit in football, for example, would be 105.
▶While athletes would continue to have the ability to make NIL deals with entities other than their schools, the settlement would allow the NCAA to institute rules designed to give the association greater enforcement oversight of those arrangements.
The details of those rules were the primary source of the concerns Wilken expressed during the hearing on Sept. 5.
As it now stands, athletes would have to report payments of more than $600 to a clearinghouse that would be established. And their deals would be subject to review, with the goal being the prevention of pay for play and deals that pay amounts above market value.
This potentially raises questions about the future impact of collectives, school-specific donor groups dedicated to pooling resources earmarked for NIL payments. At present, those payments often are — at best — only loosely based on the value of an athlete’s NIL rights or their promotional work.
Under the settlement, athletes who have questions about the permissibility of their agreements would be able to seek advisory opinion from an enforcement group. If the enforcement group sought to sanction an athlete because of a deal, the athlete would have the ability to bring the matter to an arbitrator.
(This story was updated to add new information.)
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Decades in prison for 3 sentenced in North Dakota fentanyl trafficking probe
- Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is a new way to play—try one month for just $1
- Trevor Reed, who was released in U.S.-Russia swap in 2022, injured while fighting in Ukraine
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- After 40 years, a teenage victim of the Midwest's 'interstate' serial killer is identified
- Greece remains on 'high alert' for wildfires as heat wave continues
- Families sue to block Missouri’s ban on gender-affirming health care for kids
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Greece fires force more evacuations from Rhodes and other islands as a new heat wave bears down
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- 'Jeopardy!' champs to boycott in solidarity with WGA strike: 'I can't be a part of that'
- Golden Fire in southern Oregon burns dozens of homes and cuts 911 service
- 'A great man': Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz dies at age 70
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- PacWest, Banc of California to merge on heels of US regional banking crisis
- U.S. sees biggest rise in COVID-19 hospitalizations since December
- Pedestrians scatter as fire causes New York construction crane’s arm to collapse and crash to street
Recommendation
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
Terry Crews' Doctor Finds Potentially Cancerous Polyps During His Filmed Colonoscopy
Ex-Oregon prison nurse convicted of sexually assaulting 9 women in custody
Education Department investigating Harvard's legacy admission policies
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Greece remains on 'high alert' for wildfires as heat wave continues
Iran gives ‘detailed answers’ to UN inspectors over 2 sites where manmade uranium particles found
Jada Pinkett Smith's memoir 'Worthy' is coming this fall—here's how to preorder it