Current:Home > ScamsThreat against schools in New Jersey forces several closures; 3 in custody -Ascend Wealth Education
Threat against schools in New Jersey forces several closures; 3 in custody
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 01:26:27
At least three suspects were in custody Monday after an online threat against schools in four New Jersey districts led two to close, canceling classes for almost 6,000 students.
Threats were made against specific schools in the Woodbury, Deptford, Glassboro and Haddon Heights districts in southern New Jersey. Woodbury and Deptford closed all schools while Glassboro and Haddon Heights schools were open but with an increased police presence.
Glassboro police said in a statement that two youths from Woodbury and one from Glassboro had been arrested. The statement, citing a threat directed at Bowe Middle School, credited members of the community with aiding in identification of the suspects.
"The children that attend school in our district may not biologically be ours, but we look after them as if they are our own," the statement said, adding that police "will never stop taking whatever measures necessary to ensure they are protected from the evil that tries to instill fear and cause chaos."
The threat comes days after a 14-year-old student is accused of fatally shooting two students and two teachers at his high school in Winder, Georgia.
'14-year-olds don't need AR-15s':Ga. senator aims at gun lobby as churches mourn
Screen shots from TikTok posted in community Facebook pages showed the threats and list of schools.
The Woodbury City district, with more than 1,700 students, posted a statement from Superintendent Andrew T. Bell Sr. on its website saying its schools would be closed Monday. Bell said the threat was not believed to be credible but that the district "exercising extreme caution to ensure the safety of our students, staff and families. Please be assured that school safety remains our top priority, and we are taking every precaution necessary to maintain a secure environment."
Bell said the district was working closely with police investigating the source of this threat. He urged families to "remain vigilant" and report any information that might be relevant to the investigation to law enforcement or school district officials.
Kevin Kanauss, superintendent of schools for more than 4,000 students in Deptford Township, said that "after carefully reviewing the progress of the investigation with our security team and law enforcement this evening, I have decided to close schools for Monday, September 9, 2024, out of an abundance of caution and for the safety and security of our entire Deptford Spartan Community."
Arrests made in Florida school threats
In Florida, arrests were made over the weekend in two school threat cases. A 13-year-old boy was arrested Sunday, accused of making a social media threats against Madison County schools on Instagram. The sheriff's department said late Sunday the investigation will remain active until it is determined that the juvenile acted alone.
In Broward Sheriff’s Office said it arrested a 14-year-old high school student late Saturday for making written threats to kill or conduct a mass shooting. She posted multiple stories on Instagram on Saturday afternoon that contained threats, including one post that listed several schools across Broward County that would be targeted with violence. Other posts contained additional threats of a school shooting or other violence.
Contributing: Phaedra Trethan
veryGood! (933)
Related
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- NASA is launching 3 sounding rockets into space during the solar eclipse. Here's why
- Ye, formerly Kanye West, accused of 'spreading antisemitism' at Donda Academy in new lawsuit
- Gov. Ron DeSantis suspends Orlando city commissioner accused of stealing 96-year-old's money
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Gov. Ron DeSantis suspends Orlando city commissioner accused of stealing 96-year-old's money
- Aid organizations suspend operations in Gaza after World Central Kitchen workers’ deaths
- LSU's Angel Reese reminds people she's human, which is more than the trolls can say
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Long-shot Democrat ends campaign for North Dakota governor
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Firefighters rescue 2 people trapped under Ohio bridge by fast-rising river waters
- Inter Miami keeps fans anxious with vague Messi injury updates before Champions Cup match
- 3 people, including child, found dead in Kansas City home following welfare check
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Wisconsin governor urges state Supreme Court to revoke restrictions on absentee ballot drop boxes
- With some laughs, some stories, some tears, Don Winslow begins what he calls his final book tour
- Complications remain for ship that caused Baltimore bridge collapse | The Excerpt
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Pepe Aguilar is putting Mexican culture at the front and center with ‘Jaripeo: Hasta Los Huesos’
This mob-era casino is closing on the Las Vegas Strip. Here’s some big moments in its 67 years
5-year-old killed, teenager injured in ATV crash in Kentucky: 'Vehicle lost control'
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
'Freaks and Geeks' star Joe Flaherty dies at 82, co-stars react: 'Gone too soon'
Hard landing kills skydiver at Florida airport for the second time in less than 2 years
The Daily Money: Costco expands to weight-loss management