Current:Home > reviewsPredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Congo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says -Ascend Wealth Education
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center:Congo and rebel groups agree a 3-day cease-fire ahead of the presidential vote, US says
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 23:10:40
ABUJA,PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center Nigeria (AP) — Congo’s security forces and rebel groups have agreed on a 72-hour cease-fire to de-escalate tensions in the country’s eastern region near the border with Rwanda, the White House announced just days before Congo’s presidential election.
The agreement was backed by both Congo and Rwanda, Adrienne Watson, a spokeswoman for the White House National Security Council, said in a statement Monday.
It said the agreement includes the withdrawal of forces occupying the locality of Mushaki and the RP1030 road in eastern Congo. The region has struggled with violent conflict for decades and armed groups fight either for control of mineral resources or to defend their communities. The most prominent is the M23 rebel group with links to Rwanda.
Neither Congo nor Rwanda has publicly commented on the cease-fire, which the White House said would also help “advance the implementation of the confidence-building measures to protect civilians” as Congo prepares for the Dec. 20 presidential election.
“The U.S. Government will use its intelligence and diplomatic resources to monitor the activities by armed forces and non-state armed groups during the cease-fire,” the statement added.
M23 rose to prominence 10 years ago when its fighters seized Goma, eastern Congo’s largest city on the border with Rwanda. Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi has often blamed Rwanda for destabilizing Congo by backing the rebels. U.N. experts have linked the rebels to Rwandan forces, but Rwanda denies it.
Tshisekedi, who seeks reelection as he faces several other candidates, had earlier said rebel-controlled territories might not participate in the vote for security reasons.
The top United Nations official in Congo warned on Monday that tensions between Congo and Rwanda have escalated, heightening the risk of a military confrontation. Congo’s government also insists on the withdrawal of U.N. and regional peacekeeping forces from the region, saying they’re ineffective, and some have started to leave the country.
veryGood! (14633)
Related
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- Man pleads guilty, gets 7 years in prison on charges related to Chicago officer’s killing
- EU warns China that European public could turn more protectionist if trade deficit isn’t reduced
- JPMorgan profit jumps 35%, but CEO says geopolitics and gov’t inaction have led to ‘dangerous time’
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- US defense secretary is in Israel to meet with its leaders and see America’s security assistance
- Castellanos hits 2 homers, powers Phillies past Braves 3-1 and into NLCS for 2nd straight season
- Jacob Wetterling's mom speaks out on son's case, advocacy work ahead of new book
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Visitors are scrambling to leave Israel and Gaza as the fighting rages
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information
- Parties running in Poland’s Sunday parliamentary election hold final campaign rallies
- In 'Eras Tour' movie, Taylor Swift shows women how to reject the mandate of one identity
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- As Alabama Judge Orders a Takeover of a Failing Water System, Frustrated Residents Demand Federal Intervention
- How Travis Barker’s Daughter Alabama Barker Gets Her Lip Filler to Look Natural
- El Niño is going to continue through spring 2024, forecasters predict
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
7 elementary school students injured after North Carolina school bus veers off highway, hits building
Officer shooting in Minnesota: 5 officers suffered gunshot wounds; suspect arrested
As elections near, Congo says it will ease military rule in the conflict-riddled east
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
GOP Rep. Mike Lawler won't support Scalise and thinks McCarthy may yet return as speaker candidate — The Takeout
New study: Disability and income prevent Black Americans from aging at home
More than 85 women file class action suit against Massachusetts doctor they say sexually abused them