Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-New Hampshire class action approved for foster teens with mental health disabilities -Ascend Wealth Education
TradeEdge-New Hampshire class action approved for foster teens with mental health disabilities
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:02:07
CONCORD,TradeEdge N.H. (AP) — A federal judge has approved class-action status for a lawsuit challenging the placement of teens with mental health disabilities in New Hampshire’s foster care system.
The lawsuit was filed against the state in 2021 and it has been amended since then. It says New Hampshire has “unnecessarily warehoused” foster care teens in institutional and group home care settings instead of with families, against their best interests. The state requested a dismissal, saying the plaintiffs did not prove their case.
Efforts at mediation failed earlier this year.
U.S. District Judge Paul Barbadaro’s ruling Wednesday applies to children ages 14 through 17 who are or will be under supervision of the state Division for Children, Youth and Families, have a mental impairment and are at serious risk of being unnecessarily placed in a group care setting. The ruling says fewer than 200 teens could be affected.
The original plaintiffs have since aged out of custody, and Barbadaro, in Concord, dismissed their claims.
He allowed one to proceed involving a 15-year-old in a group home who alleges disability discrimination and case planning neglect. Lawyers for the state argued that neither claim is appropriate for a class-action resolution.
Barbadro noted since the lawsuit was first filed, the defendants “have undertaken laudable efforts to address many of the concerns raised in the complaint. But there is no evidence that the defendants have abated or modified the common practices identified in this order.”
The lawsuit was filed against Gov. Chris Sununu and heads of the Health Department, Division for Children, Youth, and Families; Medicaid services; and the administrative office of the courts.
veryGood! (51)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- This Shirtless Video of Chad Michael Murray Will Delight One Tree Hill Fans
- Ethan Peck Has an Adorable Message for His Passport to Paris-Era Self
- Man faces felony charges for unprovoked attack on dog in North Carolina park, police say
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 40-Plus Groups Launch Earth Day Revolution for Climate Action
- With Biden’s Win, Climate Activists See New Potential But Say They’ll ‘Push Where We Need to Push’
- DoorDash says it will give drivers the option to earn a minimum hourly wage
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Pickleball injuries could cost Americans up to $500 million this year, analysis finds
Ranking
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Environmental Refugees and the Definitions of Justice
- Ryan Seacrest named new Wheel of Fortune host
- The Man Who Makes Greenhouse Gas Polluters Face Their Victims in Court
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Megan Fox and Machine Gun Kelly Prove Their Twin Flame Is Burning Bright During London Outing
- Iran memo not among the 31 records underlying charges in Trump federal indictment
- Gender-affirming care for trans youth: Separating medical facts from misinformation
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
New York, Massachusetts Move on Energy Storage Targets
Poor Nations to Drop Deforestation Targets if No Funding from Rich
Kate Spade 24-Hour Flash Deal: Get This $360 Tote Bag for Just $99
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Trump Aims to Speed Pipeline Projects by Limiting State Environmental Reviews
After ex-NFL player Ryan Mallett's death at Florida beach, authorities release bodycam video and say no indication of rip current
Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth says financial assistance is being sent to wholesalers, beer distributors impacted by boycott backlash