Current:Home > ScamsPope accepts resignation of bishop of Polish diocese where gay orgy scandal under investigation -Ascend Wealth Education
Pope accepts resignation of bishop of Polish diocese where gay orgy scandal under investigation
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:36:41
ROME (AP) — The pope on Tuesday accepted the resignation of a Polish bishop whose diocese has been rocked for weeks by reports of a gay orgy involving a male prostitute in a priest’s apartment.
The Vatican didn’t give a reason for why Bishop Grzegorz Kaszak was resigning as head of the diocese of Sosnowiec, in southwestern Poland. At 59, he is several years shy of the normal retirement age of 75.
But his diocese has been in the spotlight for over a month after one of his priests was placed under criminal investigation for having allegedly organized a gay orgy at his apartment in Dabrowa Gornicza. Polish media reported that a male prostitute collapsed after overdosing on erectile dysfunction pills.
A prosecutor said the priest is suspected of “failing to provide assistance to a person whose life is at risk,” for having allegedly tried to bar police and paramedics from entering the apartment.
Three weeks after the scandal erupted, Kaszak issued a statement calling for priests in the diocese to penance and urging prayers for “hurting and ashamed priests.” But he also made clear that the priest involved in the scandal would be punished by the church if convicted because “there is no consent to moral evil.”
“Anyone found guilty will be punished according to canon law, regardless of the verdict of the civil court. And I am very sorry to all those who were affected and very saddened or even scandalized by the situation in Dabrowa Gornicza,” he wrote on Sept. 23.
It wasn’t immediately clear if Kaszak offered to resign or was pressured to step down. Still, the speed with which Francis removed him was unusual. Kaszak had been appointed bishop in 2009, after having served briefly as the No. 2 in the Vatican’s family office.
The priest in question has not been charged. Polish daily Rzeczpospolita quoted a statement he issued soon after the scandal erupted, denying he had prevented paramedics from accessing his apartment and questioning the definition of “orgy.”
“I perceive this as an obvious strike against the church, including the clergy and the faithful, in order to humiliate its position, tasks and mission,” the priest was quoted as saying.
The Polish Catholic Church has been rocked for several years by allegations of sexual abuse of minors involving the clergy, scandals that have led to the forced resignations of several bishops and tarnished the church’s reputation in the homeland of St. John Paul II.
The Vatican embassy in Poland said a temporary administrator, Archbishop Adrian Galbas of Katowice, would run the diocese of Sosnowiec until a new bishop is named.
———
Gera contributed from Warsaw.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- 3 days after South Africa building collapse, hope fades for more survivors with 44 people still missing
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Arrive in Nigeria for 3-Day Tour
- FLiRT COVID variants are now more than a third of U.S. cases. Scientists share what we know about them so far.
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Former Miss USA staffer says organization caused pageant winners' mental health to decline
- Here are six candidates for Phoenix Suns head coach opening. Mike Budenholzer tops list
- Taylor Swift made big changes to Eras Tour. What to know about set list, 'Tortured Poets'
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Virginia budget leaders reach compromise with governor on state spending plan
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Rights group says Sudan's RSF forces may have committed genocide, warns new disaster looms
- Heather Rae El Moussa Details How Son Tristan Has Changed Her
- Embrace Your Unique Aura With Bella Hadid's Fragrance Line, 'Ôrəbella, Now Available At Ulta
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Stanford names Maples Pavilion basketball court after legendary coach Tara VanDerveer
- Police disperse protesters at several campuses, use tear gas in Tucson
- Prince Harry, Duchess Meghan visit school children as part of first trip to Nigeria
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
‘Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum’ in development with Andy Serkis to direct and star
Generation Alpha is here, how will they affect the world? | The Excerpt
700 union workers launch 48-hour strike at Virgin Hotels casino off Las Vegas Strip
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Minnesota makes ticket transparency law, cracking down on hidden costs and re-sellers
Illinois basketball star Terrence Shannon Jr. ordered to stand trial on a rape charge in Kansas
Officer fatally shoots armed suspect in domestic disturbance that injured man, police say