Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:MLS to lock out referees. Lionel Messi’s Miami could open season with replacement officials. -Ascend Wealth Education
SafeX Pro:MLS to lock out referees. Lionel Messi’s Miami could open season with replacement officials.
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:14:42
Major League Soccer will lock out referees after its union rejected a tentative contract,SafeX Pro putting Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami on track to open the season next week with replacement officials.
The Professional Soccer Referees Association said Saturday that 95.8% voted against a tentative agreement with the Professional Referee Organization, which supplies match officials to MLS, the NWSL and some lower-tier leagues. The union said 97.8% of eligible members voted.
Their previous five-year agreement had been set to expire on Jan. 15, and a pair of brief extensions ended Monday. PRO will lock out the union at 12:01 a.m. ET on Sunday.
“We are left with no choice but to institute a lockout and use qualified nonbargaining unit officials so that games can go ahead as scheduled,” Mark Geiger, the former referee who became PRO’s general manager in February 2023, said in a statement.
Messi and Miami play the MLS opener at home against Real Salt Lake on Wednesday.
The PSRA, which has about 260 members, said the tentative agreement lacked a sufficient economic package and quality-of-life improvements.
“The skyrocketing growth of MLS has significantly increased demands on officials mentally and physically, and as such has increased demands on both our professional and personal time,” union president Peter Manikowski said in a statement. “Our members are asking not only for fair compensation at a time when the league is reporting record growth, but also for the ability to take care of themselves on the road and at home to continue officiating at the highest level that this sport demands.”
MLS said PRO’s proposal for wages, benefits and travel was a 25% improvement from last year.
PRO said the tentative five-year agreement included guaranteed pay increases this year of 10-33% for referees, 75-104% raises for assistant referees and 15-100% for video match officials along with increased match fees. Salaries and match fees would have increased 7% in 2027 and 3% in other years.
First-class or business-class air travel would be added for the postseason and for the final day of the regular season in 2028.
MLS used replacement officials for the first two weeks of its 2014 season before reaching a five-year contract after the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service entered talks.
League executive vice president Nelson Rodriguez said the union rejected a no strike-no lockout proposal. He said in statement that PRO would use “experienced professional match referees supported by veteran VAR officials,” a reference to the video assistant referees.
PRO had 66 officials committed to work during a lockout, according to information provided to The Associated Press. Among that group, 26 could be referees or fourth officials and six referees, assistant referees or fourth officials. Five could be fourth officials or video assistant referees and 29 could be assistant referees.
Eleven of the referees have past experience at FIFA events or first-, second- and third-tier professional leagues.
PRO managers who have been certified for VAR in the past will be available for video referee work.
veryGood! (5741)
Related
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Check the Powerball winning numbers for Saturday's drawing with $535 million jackpot
- 15 suspected drug smugglers killed in clash with Thai soldiers near Myanmar border, officials say
- 36 jours en mer : récit des naufragés qui ont survécu aux hallucinations, à la soif et au désespoir
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Austin heads to Israel as US urges transition to a more targeted approach in Gaza
- Peter Sarsgaard Reveals the Secret to His 14-Year Marriage to Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Ukraine’s military chief says one of his offices was bugged and other devices were detected
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- October 2023 in photos: USA TODAY's most memorable images
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- 'Trevor Noah: Where Was I': Release date, trailer, how to watch new comedy special
- Are the Sinaloa Cartel's 'Chapitos' really getting out of the fentanyl business?
- European Union investigating Musk’s X over possible breaches of social media law
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 16 killed in Christmas-season shootings in central Mexico state of Guanajuato
- How Taylor Swift Played a Role in Katie Couric Learning She’s Going to Be a Grandma
- Charles M. Blow on reversing the Great Migration
Recommendation
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
Is Sister Wives’ Kody Brown Ready for Monogamy? He Says…
Timothée Chalamet sings and dances 'Wonka' to No. 1 with $39M open
A Black woman was criminally charged after a miscarriage. It shows the perils of pregnancy post-Roe
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Love it or hate it, self-checkout is here to stay. But it’s going through a reckoning
Applesauce pouches recalled for lead could have been contaminated intentionally: Reports
New details emerge about Alex Batty, U.K. teen found in France after vanishing 6 years ago: I want to come home