Current:Home > reviewsWill MLB place Rays star Wander Franco on administrative leave? Decision could come Monday -Ascend Wealth Education
Will MLB place Rays star Wander Franco on administrative leave? Decision could come Monday
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-07 04:48:29
Tampa Bay Rays All-Star shortstop Wander Franco could learn his fate Monday about whether he’ll be back on the field in the near future.
Major League Baseball will make a decision about whether to place him on administrative leave while investigating allegations against him of an improper relationship with an underaged girl.
The Rays placed their young star on the restricted list for a week through Monday – which Franco agreed to and MLB approved – before Tampa Bay embarked on a week-long road trip. The Rays have now returned to Tampa and will begin a six-game homestand Tuesday against the Colorado Rockies and New York Mets at Tropicana Field.
It’s possible the Rays and Franco could agree to extend the restricted list stay, but MLB could take over matters and place Franco on administrative leave until the investigation is completed. MLB can impose administrative leave without Franco or the union’s approval for seven days.
MLB would have to prove reasonable cause for an additional seven days. The union would have to approve any administrative leave after two weeks. This is the course of action MLB took with Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer, who was accused of assaulting a woman in 2021, and later suspended for 194 games.
FOLLOW THE MONEY: MLB player salaries and payrolls for every major league team
Technically, it’s possible that Franco is cleared to play beginning Tuesday, but highly unlikely given the allegations.
Franco was accused of an inappropriate relationship with a minor after a series of social media posts circulated a week ago. He also is being investigated by authorities in the Dominican Republic involving at least two minors after a 17-year old-girl filed a complaint against Franco, according to the Dominican newspaper Diario Libre. Franco has retained legal counsel in the Dominican Republic while also hiring an attorney in the United States.
“This is a very delicate topic because there is a minor involved,’’ Angel Dario Tejada Fabal, a prosecutor in the Peravaia, a province of the Dominican Republic, told the Associated Press last week.
Relationships between adults and minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited in the Dominican Republic, no matter if the minor gives consent. The investigation is being handled by a division specializing in minors and gender violence.
Franco, who is being paid $2 million this year in the second year of an 11-year, $182 million contract, denied the allegations on his Instagram account last Sunday, but has yet to speak publicly or make a statement.
Franco, 22, who was given the largest contract in Rays’ history, is considered one of baseball’s finest young talents. He is hitting .281 with 17 homers and an .819 OPS this season while rated as one of the premier defensive shortstops in the game. Yet, there have been maturity issues along the way.
He was suspended two games this season by the Rays for emotional outbursts and “not being the best teammate,’’ Rays Manager Kevin Cash said. He also was involved in a scuffle with teammate Randy Arozarena.
The Rays, meanwhile, appear to be distancing themselves from Franco. They have removed highlights of him from their TV advertisements and promotions with Bally Sports, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Follow Nightengale on X: @Bnightengale
veryGood! (5131)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Kendra Wilkinson Shares Rare Update on Her Kids Hank and Alijah
- Gubernatorial candidate Mark Robinson treated for burns received at appearance, campaign says
- Opinion: Learning signs of mental health distress may help your young athlete
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Latest talks between Boeing and its striking machinists break off without progress, union says
- Gubernatorial candidate Mark Robinson treated for burns received at appearance, campaign says
- What time is Alycia Baumgardner vs. Delfine Persoon fight? Walk-in time for main event
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Florida financial adviser indicted in alleged illegal tax shelter scheme
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- AI Is Everywhere Now—and It’s Sucking Up a Lot of Water
- Gubernatorial candidate Mark Robinson treated for burns received at appearance, campaign says
- Tips to prevent oversharing information about your kids online: Watch
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Arkansas couple stunned when their black Nikes show up as Kendrick Lamar cover art
- Facing a possible strike at US ports, Biden administration urges operators to negotiate with unions
- 2024 Presidents Cup Round 2: Results, matchups, tee times from Friday's golf foursomes
Recommendation
Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
Colorado vs. UCF live updates: Buffaloes-Knights score, highlights, analysis and more
Miami Dolphins to start Tyler Huntley at quarterback against Titans
Sharpton and Central Park Five members get out the vote in battleground Pennsylvania
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Why Adam Devine Is Convinced Wife Chloe Bridges Likes Him More Now That He's a Dad
'Dangerous rescue' saves dozens stranded on hospital roof amid Helene deluge
Recent major hurricanes have left hundreds dead and caused billions in damages