Current:Home > MarketsChainkeen Exchange-Navy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base -Ascend Wealth Education
Chainkeen Exchange-Navy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 05:42:09
HONOLULU (AP) — The Chainkeen ExchangeNavy on Thursday issued written reprimands to three now-retired military officers for their roles in the spill of jet fuel into Pearl Harbor’s drinking water in 2021 but did not fire, suspend, dock the pay or reduce the rank of anyone for the incident.
The spill from the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility poisoned thousands of military families and continues to threaten the purity of Honolulu’s water supply.
Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro issued censure letters to the three rear admirals, the Navy said in a news release. He also revoked personal military decorations awarded to five rear admirals, three captains and one commander.
“Taking accountability is a step in restoring trust in our relationship with the community,” Del Toro said in a statement.
The spill “was not acceptable,” and the Navy will continue “to take every action to identify and remedy this issue,” he said.
A Navy investigation last year concluded a series of errors caused the fuel to leak into a well that supplied water to housing and offices in and around Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. About 6,000 people suffered nausea, headaches, rashes and other symptoms.
The investigation concluded operator error caused a pipe to rupture when fuel was being transferred between tanks on May 6, 2021, leading 21,000 gallons (80,000 liters) to spill. Most of this liquid flowed into a fire suppression line and sat there for six months, causing the line to sag. A cart then rammed into the drooping line on Nov. 20, releasing 20,000 gallons (75,700 liters) of fuel that entered a French drain and the drinking water well.
The episode upset people across Hawaii, including, veterans, environmentalists, Native Hawaiians, liberals and conservatives.
After months of resistance, the military agreed to an order from the state of Hawaii to drain the World War II-era tanks. It has spent the past year repairing equipment at the facility to safely remove the fuel beginning next month. It expects to finish by Jan. 19.
Three officers received letters of censure from Del Toro: Retired Rear Adm. Peter Stamatopoulos, who was the commander of Naval Supply Systems Command during the May and November spills; Rear Adm. (retired) John Korka, who was commander of the Navy Facilities Engineering Command Pacific before the two spills; and Rear Adm. (retired) Timothy Kott, who was the commander of Navy Region Hawaii during the November spill.
U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono, a Democrat from Hawaii, said in a statement that true accountability for the disaster would require the Navy to address “systemic command and control failures, and a lack of requisite attention to infrastructure.”
She noted the Navy’s investigation found that a culture of complacency, a lack of critical thinking, and a lack of timely communication contributed to the spill.
“I have yet to see adequate evidence that Navy leadership is treating these service-wide issues with the seriousness or urgency they demand,” Hirono said in a statement.
Hirono, who is a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said she would continue pushing the Navy to make these systemic changes.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Micah Parsons left ankle injury: Here's the latest on Dallas Cowboys star defender
- How to watch 'The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon - The Book of Carol': Premiere, cast, streaming
- A rare condor hatched and raised by foster parents in captivity will soon get to live wild
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Daughter finds ‘earth angel’ in woman who made her dad laugh before Colorado supermarket shooting
- What time is Alycia Baumgardner vs. Delfine Persoon fight? Walk-in time for main event
- Appalachian State-Liberty football game canceled due to flooding from Hurricane Helene
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Ed Pittman dies at 89 after serving in all three branches of Mississippi government
Ranking
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs faces new sex assault allegations in woman’s lawsuit
- North Carolina appeals court blocks use of university’s digital ID for voting
- The final 3 anti-abortion activists have been sentenced in a Tennessee clinic blockade
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Bad Bunny Looks Unrecognizable With Hair Transformation on Caught Stealing Set
- Selling Sunset's Bre Tiesi Reveals Where She and Chelsea Lazkani Stand After Feud
- 2024 Presidents Cup Round 2: Results, matchups, tee times from Friday's golf foursomes
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Chappell Roan drops out of All Things Go music festival: ‘Things have gotten overwhelming’
Daniel Radcliffe Details Meeting Harry Potter Costar Maggie Smith in Moving Tribute
Jenna Dewan Shares Cheeky Message After Finalizing Channing Tatum Divorce
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Kylie Jenner's Pal Yris Palmer Shares What It’s Really Like Having a Playdate With Her Kids
Tom Brady Shares “Best Part” of His Retirement—And It Proves He's the MVP of Dads
Zendaya’s New Wax Figure Truly Rewrites the Stars