Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:AP WAS THERE: Mexico’s 1938 seizure of the oil sector from US companies -Ascend Wealth Education
EchoSense:AP WAS THERE: Mexico’s 1938 seizure of the oil sector from US companies
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 05:38:25
MEXICO CITY (AP) — EDITOR’S NOTE:
Mexico took control of its most precious natural resource by seizing the oil sector from U.S. companies in a move that’s taught starting in first grade today and EchoSensecelebrated each year as a great patriotic victory.
The woman holding a double-digit lead in the June 2 election to replace President Andrés Manuel López Obrador is an environmental engineer who helped produce the 2007 Nobel Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report. She’s also been a faithful protege of López Obrador, who hails from the oil industry’s Gulf of Mexico heartland and led a 2008 fight against energy reform.
The AP is making available its story from March 18, 1938, reporting the expropriation of foreign oil companies.
___
MEXICO SEIZES U.S., BRITISH OIL INTERESTS
President Lazaro Cardenas tonight announced expropriation by the government of foreign oil companies operating in Mexico.
The President announced by radio that the government was taking over the properties of the 17 British and American oil companies, representing investments of $400,000,000.
The announcements was made less than two hours before the time set by the Mexican Oil Workers’ Syndicate for a nation-wide “folded arms strike” as the outcome of months of labor dispute.
The President’s office, immediately following Cardenas’ unannounced and unexpected broadcast, said the government would proceed to issue a decree, setting forth the terms for nationalization of the industry and new bases for its operation.
INDEMNITIES UNSTATED
No announcement was made as to the amount the companies would be paid as indemnification for their properties. Under Mexican law, such indemnification must be made within years.
Cardenas’ decision was made after a three-hour meeting of the hastily summoned cabinet.
A two-year conflict between the foreign companies and heir workers had apparently reached a stalemate.
The 18,000 members of the syndicate, following a decision of the labor board dissolving existing contracts, decided to “suspend operations.”
The bone of contention was a federal arbitration board ruling that the companies should pay higher wages, which the operators said would cost them $12,000,000 a year — more than expected profits — and would force them out of business.
FIRMS OFFERED TO PAY
After the workers’ syndicate announced that the strike would start at midnight tonight the companies, in statements to newspapers, said they had offered to pay the amount (stipulated by the government to equal $7,200,000 annually) stipulated in the award ...
Cardenas was said to have replied: “It is too late now.”
veryGood! (1427)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Explosive devices detonated, Molotov cocktail thrown at Washington, D.C., businesses
- Massachusetts Sues Exxon Over Climate Change, Accusing the Oil Giant of Fraud
- If Aridification Choked the Southwest for Thousands of Years, What Does The Future Hold?
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Kim Kardashian Addresses Rumors She and Pete Davidson Rekindled Their Romance Last Year
- Jana Kramer Is Pregnant with Baby No. 3, Her First With Fiancé Allan Russell
- July Fourth hot dog eating contest men's competition won by Joey Chestnut with 62 hot dogs and buns
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Breaking Bad Actor Mike Batayeh Dead at 52
Ranking
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Solar Energy Largely Unscathed by Hurricane Florence’s Wind and Rain
- Beyond Standing Rock: Environmental Justice Suffered Setbacks in 2017
- BMX Rider Pat Casey Dead at 29 After Accident at Motocross Park
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Migrant workers said to be leaving Florida over new immigration law
- JoJo Siwa's Bold Hair Transformation Is Perfect If You're Torn Between Going Blonde or Brunette
- 1.5 Degrees Warming and the Search for Climate Justice for the Poor
Recommendation
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Targeted as a Coal Ash Dumping Ground, This Georgia Town Fought Back
Warming Trends: A Hidden Crisis, a Forest to Visit Virtually and a New Trick for Atmospheric Rivers
Leandro De Niro-Rodriguez, Robert De Niro's grandson, dies at age 19
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Vanderpump Rules: Raquel Leviss Wanted to Be in a Throuple With Tom Sandoval and Ariana Madix
Roller coaster riders stuck upside down for hours at Wisconsin festival
Amazon Reviewers Say This On-Sale Cooling Blanket Really Works